Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Wait, now I'm confused. You claim they're giving up on "raking in money" by taking this stance, so are you now saying it's not a cash-grab? Surely the cash-grabby thing to do would be to keep selling Volo's alongside MPMM despite only wanting to perpetuate the lore and design from the latter, no? So which is it?
I believe you're confusing me with another poster, perhaps StrangeBloke. My memory might be faulty, but I don't remember ever using the term 'money grubbing' in my life, and I don't recall making the claim that what they're doing right now is to force book sales.

I do remember that argument being made by other posters, and would rather you not conflate us.

"Some lizardfolk aren't borderline sociopaths" is not much of a consolation for painting with such a broad brush to begin with. Hence them deciding to scrap that lore, and they have valid reasons for doing so.
They gave up on making races anything but humans in funny hats. It's okay that people don't like that, and I've never heard any pushback on the liazrd folk.... ever. Not online or irl. This just feels like looking for potentially problematic things to justify it.

Would you have rather they nuked all this with errata instead of via a new book? It seems to me that would cause even worse backlash, because now not only would newcomers be unable to get their hands on the old Volo's, the existing (digital) owners would have had their products altered as well. As opposed to what they went with, which is to leave your copy of Volo's intact and usable on their platform.

...How have I not been clear about what I want? I wanted them to wait until an edition change for such massive changes to fundamental design shift.

And stop framing this as them doing something nice, and let me point out a flaw with your assumption:

I don't own either book on Beyond. The majority of my collection is physical, not on Beyond. However, I do pick up books on Beyond as funds and sales allow, because it's a useful resource for an online player and DM to have access to. That won't be available going forwards for those books.

Again, your stance appears to boil down to "they shouldn't be allowed to change anything except for minor tweaks until the entire edition is over" - and I'm sorry, but that's just not a realistic take on game design in 2022.
Lol, that is not my stance at all.

They've shown subtle changes and introduced new things throughout 5E. They can even take new design cues without being overly disruptive. I don't like the prof bonus thing for subclass abilities, but it fit into the game well enough without upending existing design paradigms.

Stop framing any pushback on what they're doing as they can't change anything. I don't think anyone has taken that stance, and I have repeatedly said no when you've tried to assign it to me personally. Not all changes are equal.

You want me to go and google support for your position? That's... not how debate works
They nuked a significant amount of content around when they made said statements. I spent 30 minutes yesterday googling it and found people talking about, and providing quotes from Monte Cook about various things about 5E that never came to pass.

Another user provided a Sage Advice with a statement they very clearly violated.

If you are unfamiliar with what they said, and you do not believe the various people saying it, then yes, looking for it yourself would be a prudent thing to do. Like when you referred to the video down below, and I had to scan a 5 page thread to find it.

As for "why they're no longer selling the old books" - I mean, I can link you to the JC interview yet again but that feels spammy.
Ah yes the video you posted in reply to a different person, and posted as a hyperlink as part of your reply. What an obvious and easy-to-find piece of evidence you have provided.

How about you actually write what they said that supports you, instead of linking to a 12 and a half minute long video on a text-based forum?

Although spoiler: THEY DON'T TALK ABOUT NOT SELLING THE OLDER BOOKS.

They talk about changing the races. About the design process for the book in question. I had the entire thing on the side whilst working and didn't hear anything about them yanking older books off sale. And you know what? if it was on there this wouldn't have been an unsubstantiated rumour for so long, as that video was posted in JANUARY.

If you think they said something that explains it, write it out yourself and provide a timestamp, stop hiding behind high noise videos you expect people to sit through and parse through to try and riddle out what you're even referring to.

Bonus point! JC said that they were given new features so that they would 'stand shoulder to shoulder' and yet they clearly failed in that aspect. Example: They made the minotaur worse overall for features, when it wasn't stellar to begin with.