View Single Post

Thread: Need a character background written up?

1. - Top - End - #959
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiduszx View Post
    Hi Tawmis! I was trying to create a backstory for a Dwarven Paladin Oathbreaker ala Jamie Lannister from game of thrones to explain breaking his oath , but not as dramatic as killing a King! And I'm just having so much trouble and a hard time to get this one going.
    Any help, ideas, would be appreciated. He would probably be leaning towards neutral to good.... And def some chaotic since he is breaking his oath after all.
    Jaxd Bloodforge. He's witty, pragmatic, and sometimes cynical. A charming rake, often does questionable things, but usually in service to his family or some perceived greater good. He is a willing practitioner of intimidation, and violence – but never without cause. Somewhere inside him are knightly principles and inclinations that he’s long since suppressed in reaction to a cruel and arbitrary world. At least, that’s his view. Thank you!
    All right - sorry about that! Life is unusually (well, for the last two years, perhaps I should change that to "usually") chaotic.
    I wrote something - I didn't get too much into his personality.
    But tried to write a solid way and reason as to he'd go from Standard Paladin down to an Oathbreaker.
    Hope you enjoy - I'd love to hear any comments or feedback you have (good or bad) in this thread as it keeps it bumped and alive!
    =============================================

The Bloodforge Clan has long served the Lighthammer Royal Family who has sat on the throne for generations. For as many generations as the Lighthammer family has sat on that throne, the Bloodforge Clan has brought a son or daughter into the world, who has heard the calling of our god and creator, with the message to always protect the throne – and the Lighthammer family.

For all these generations, the Bloodforge Clan has been tied to the Lighthammer royal family, like two hands clasped together, fingers interlocked and fitting perfectly.

Like those before me, I’d sworn my allegiance to the Lighthammer family, and most recently to the kind and just, Rarek Lighthammer, against all enemies, foreign and domestic. The most common enemy were the Stonespear Goblin clan – who often led raids against the gates of Thouridin, home of the Dwarves. Cutting down goblins in defense of Lighthammer, and the Kingdom of Thouridin was never a problem.

But that wasn’t Rarek Lighthammer’s sole enemy. As the king of Thouridin, the young king had many enemies – many would did not see a youthful king on the throne as what Thouridin needed – one such vocal family was the Skygem clan, primarily Orikar – who took every opportunity to try and discredit Rarek and his abilities.

It was such an enemy that would change my life forever. I was reporting to duty in the throne room, checking with Rarek, when I saw Tenianie, his younger sister, weeping at his feet.

“What’s going on?” I asked as I approached the throne.

Rarek’s face was grave, as if he’d aged many years in a single moment, looking haggard and helpless.

Seeing his expression, I asked again, more firmly, my hand to the hilt of my blade. “I beg you, king, what has happened?”

“It’s Orikar Skygem,” Rarek replied.

Tenianie turned to face me, her right eye was black and blue and she showed signs of being badly beaten. “He dare lay a hand on royalty!” I growled, now my hand firmly gripping the hilt of my blade.

“He did more than beat her,” Rarek whispered.

It took a moment for it to sink in – to understand what he meant.

“This can not go unpunished,” I growled.

“I agree,” Rarek stood up. “But what I am about to ask of you is not to bring him in to punish him by the law. I want the gods to punish him. Do you understand what I ask of you?”

I bowed my head. “I understand.”

“You also understand, you must flee, and make it seem as if this was your choice,” Rarek said.

“I do.”

I spun on my heel and walked over to the Iron Cauldron where I observe Orikar celebrating as if nothing were wrong. I considered stepping inside the Iron Cauldron, but the tavern was full of patrons. I did not want to make him any kind of martyr where witness would see what I’ve done. No. I wanted him to die alone. With only me there.

I carried on to his home and waited in the dark. I didn’t wait for long before he stumbled into the house. He fumbled for candle light, muttering how the king would be too cowardly to take action and that he could use it to further discredit Rarek.

Just as he light a candle, the light glistened off my blade. He stumbled backwards startled. “Jaxd, what are you doing in my home.”

“I am a servant of the Lighthammer clan,” I said as I stepped forward. He scrambled for a weapon. “The Light is the just – and shines on those who sin. The hammer is the justice that reigns down. You have been found guilty for the assault on Lady Tenianie, and the judgement is death.” I grabbed Orikar by the scruff of his shirt and pulled him onto my blade, so that he and I were touching noses – and I watched the life ebb from his eyes as he gasped for breath. I also felt the light in me die, and everything about me changed, as I knew it would.

I threw his body off my sword, and wiped a goblin blade I’d been carrying, wiping it in his blood and tossed it aside. I put a cowl on and quietly walked out of his home and the Thouridin empire.

For generations, my family has been the sword and shield to the Lighthammer Royal family.

May my son or daughter, who comes after me, forgive me.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2022-05-15 at 02:30 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)