Quote Originally Posted by x3n0n View Post
Way of the Astral Self Monks get this ability while their Arms of the Astral Self are summoned:

The typical way I see this used is for the Str(Athletics) checks associated with shoving and grappling, which is clearly RAW and RAI.

In addition, I've seen a number of build concepts that use features that affect Wisdom checks and expect them to extend to Strength checks when combined with the above. For example:
  • Circle of the Stars Druid, Starry Form, Dragon: "When you make [...] a Wisdom check [...], you can treat a roll of 9 or lower on the d20 as a 10."
  • Wildhunt Shifter: "While shifted, you have advantage on Wisdom checks[.]"

It's not obvious to me that the wording of Arms of the Astral Self "turns a Strength check into a Wisdom check", which is what would be required for these features to apply. (That is, I think there's an argument that a shove is still a Strength check, not a Wisdom check--you just get to use your Wisdom for the modifier.)
I think I'd allow it as a DM based on the rule of cool and on my perception that it's not above the power curve, but I'm curious to see whether others think that this is a slam dunk and they obviously apply.

Thoughts?
Technically, the wording "You can use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength modifier when making Strength checks and Strength saving throws" means that you are still doing STR checks and saving throws, just using the WIS mod.

Therefore, it'd be the other way around: Arms of the Astral Self applies to all features influencing STR and saving throws, even if the WIS mod is the one used.