Quote Originally Posted by Trixie_One View Post
First big caveat, is that it's better than average only if you're in your mid-30's to mid-40's. Yes this is utterly mad that Disney made a film so exclusively catering to such an age bracket featuring two rodents but it happened, and it's pretty great.
I'm not sure that I agree with this premise. IF Disney had done a straight-up reboot/movie version of the 90's Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers cartoon show, and populated it with nothing but references to that series, and didn't include enough kids-show aesthetic that today's kids couldn't enjoy it as just a kids movie, then it would be catering exclusively to that age bracket. They didn't, and instead made it a meta take on Hollywood and fleeting fame and what it means to be a post-peak celebrity (to the chagrin of those who just wanted the RR gang back for a two-hour adventure).

Regardless, I think it was fine. Agree that it suffered in when it came out amongst a recent cavalcade of movies with 'your childhood' cameos for Gen Xers and Millennials, rather than actually being worse at it than the rest of them (that title I bestow on Ready Player One). The worst I will say about it is that it is yet another in a long line of films, shows, or even characters that are Hollywood writers writing about the trials and tribulations of being in Hollywood*. Much moreso than the meta stuff, this is ground we've all seen covered before -- to rise above the baseline it has to really stand out. This one... well, it doesn't. It's fine. Probably won't be quoting lines from it a decade from now or anything, but fine.
*Or New York, but still in TV and Movies