I adored this! I only watched it because Samberg and Mulaney were doing the voices, and I usually get a chuckle out of those guys. It helped that I was feeling "happy" already, I don't think I would have watched it in any other state. There really is an easter-egg every other second in this movie, and so many of the references would only mean something to people my age, growing up in the early 90's. I will say, that the weak point was the human detective character, her dialogue was written poorly and acting unfortunately didn't make up for any deficiency in the script, there. Of course, no actor has an easy time when they aren't actually acting with other people, so I feel for her- I imagine she was staring at something like ping pong balls on a green screen while people read lines at her from off camera.

I'm glad it wasn't just a reboot of the show. This was much more creative. How they integrated the cartoon characters into the human world was fantastic, especially how they dealt with the scale of tiny characters. I love that it wasn't just cartoons, too - there's stop motion characters, muppets, CGI, of course. Some of the funniest details to me were how they had a human-sized car rigged up for a chipmunk to drive it, and it looked like a practical effect. And the scooter, so the little claymation police chief can move along with the human police officers, another practical effect that looked like an actual prop. Thinking about how they filmed that is what made me laugh the most. I wonder if Mulaney and Samberg had any input into the film apart from voicing the characters, because many of the gags in the film feel like they could be a version of both their styles of humor.

A bit like Roger Rabbit, the humor is mostly a mix of the absurdity of the setting where cartoon characters live along side humans, kids-show characters existing outside their shows and behaving like adults, passing references to old shows and characters purely for the "I remember that guy!" moments. Like I said, it's a good time if you're in a "happy" mood. I don't imagine it will spawn a franchise, it's basically a 1.5 hour long gag that I think would lose it's charm if they tried to push it much farther. Another film featuring some different old cartoon characters living in this setting could be fun if they had a good enough story, there's certainly no end to the references you could throw in...but no, it's probably best they leave it as a one-off.