1. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers is better than you might expect

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Actually, an interview I read with the director mentioned that the original writers came up with the idea of doing a "Roger Rabbit-esque meta-take on Chip n' Dale, which would find the animated chipmunks as washed-up actors in the real world...". So it sounds like it was written for these specific characters. That is believable, given how many gags and plot points involve the difference in scale between the tiny cartoons and the human world. Monterey Jack's uncontrollable attraction to stinky cheese is relevant to a major plot point, and they make use of other elements from the TV show as well.

Also, I recall Roger Rabbit having lots of cameos of random Warner Bros. and Disney characters, or knockoff versions of them, that weren't directly serving a role in the allegory...they were just there to establish the setting. This is the same thing.
    It feels like the movie as a whole would be much nicer if it had the room to be a new (if firmly inferior) take on the Roger Rabbit concept - it's coming out alongside a wave of middling films that feel like they're meant more to either refresh some copyrights or hope there are enough in-jokes that something is attractive to a given viewer and it pulls in enough cash. This means that showering the background with cameos, instead of reinforcing the setting or giving a nice easter egg, starts to feel more like a hurried zoo attraction showing photos of other animals while only three are really involved in the whole event.
    The basic idea seems palatable enough, and I've heard it's a decent film overall. But it can't stand out as well with other films less sturdily made on the same premise crimping its vibe.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2022-05-31 at 10:44 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad