View Single Post

Thread: Junkyard Wars XXXVIII - NPC + PrC - BC

1. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Post 2. Gozu-bō

Spoiler: One day of life.
    Show
    - Good day Sensei, - young man bowed to old whitened by gray fur yakman.
    - Good, yes, young Shanaō, - yakfolk sedately nodded back.
    - I came to say goodbye, master. I’ll be killed tomorrow, - Shanaō said.
    - Nonsense! - ox-headed waved his hand, - Say nonsense who taught you? Not me.
    - But, Sensei!..
    - Sit down. What happened tell me, - yakman commanded.
    - Sensei… There is one of these Lions, Masakado, - the young start telling, - He… He…
    - He what? Say me, Bullock.
    - He called me a liar! - blurted out Shanaō.
    - Don’t die from it you, - Sensei shook his head, - More. Tell all you should.
    - He somehow got to the secret about you, master…
    - Let it slip you. To a girl suppose I. Doesn’t matter this, continue, - called yakman.
    - He said I made it up! Nobody teach me, no one will! Because I'm talentless hack, and even if somebody will become my mentor, he would be a silly man or crazy kinless, who anyway can teach nothing. And he said if I really have a teacher, let me lead him and he and his friends beat that fool, - with every word the young man spoke louder and louder, - I couldn't listen to this, I challenged him to a duel.
    - Well… - Sensei stroked his beard, - Right thing you did, but mistake it was.
    - Master? How can it be possible?
    - Honored impulse your was, for the old teacher stood up you. But honor help to win should, not to die. Provoked you Lion that. Intentionally. To see your dead want. Fool. My apprentice you are, your life and death in my hands only dwell.
    - Master, but your oaths… - Shanao looked up, - You told, nobody should see you.
    - Worry don’t need you, Bullock, to you give something I. Will see old Gozu-bō nobody, only you will do all should done be. Sit and don’t move now, - an old ox-headed monk put his hands on a young man’s shoulders.

- What if he doesn’t come? - one of the campaign of seven men asked the leader.
    - Calm down, Yoshirō, of course he’ll come, such a honest dumb can’t break his word, - ringleader brushed aside the fellow, - Look, there he is. You see, what did I say?
    - Good day to die today is, - Shanaō came near and bowed to those waiting for him.
    - Yeah, very good for you, hack, but… What is this? How many swords do you bring and what is in your hand?
    - Five. Whip in my hand is it.
    - Do you think you can beat me with the number of swords and a whip? - the young Lion was laughing and his laughter caught up with the sidekicks.
    - Smart with ten swords still smart is. For fool even one too much is, - Shanaō answered.
    His opponents looked at each other and laughed again.
    - You are funny! You made me and my friends laugh. Well, I can forgive you if you ask me well, - leader said after he'd stopped laughing.
    - Call the apprentice an incompetent one and maybe right you are, this matter not… - young man began to speak, but the Lion interrupted him.
    - You start to understand who you are. Good! Now get on your knees and beg me for mercy, - he’s openly enjoying what’s happening.
    - … but, saying such about his master stupidity great is. Who's foolish, teach those should, - Shanao finished his speech.
    - How do you imagine this? - Lion lost his smile, - You are alone, we are seven here.
    - Good question! - Shanaō smiled, - The same young apprentice his sensei asked. Some of his wisdom inside apprentice sensei put and now several lessons teach to all of you I.
    - I see, you’re out of your mind of fear, - Lion put his hand on the hilt of the sword, - I think we should spare you the misery.
    - Lesson one, - Shanaō seemed not to hear what the enemy was saying, - Think you, still conversing we are and fight started not yet. Not think, dead you are already.
    Before the enemies could even blink, Shanao dropped the whip, with three steps approached them, faster than biting snake drew his sword and the head of one of them fell to the ground.
    - Lesson two, - Shanaō spoke in a calm, measured voice, - Go on death when you, friend invite. Die together you will.
    Shanaō quietly sheathed his sword, but in the next twinkling of an eye drew it again and cut twice with a single move. Two bodies with dissected chests dropped dead.
    - Lesson three, - Shanaō stood with a sword in his hand drawn back. A one still alive pulled out his sword and threw himself at the foe screaming, - If can’t you hit… - young man dodged the blade easily, - try not. I can, - a short blade concealed in his sleeve suddenly appeared in his hand and stabbed in the attacker’s throat.
    The rest of Shanaō’s enemies plucked their swords, too, but they dared not attack. On the contrary, they’re backing off.
    - Lesson four, - Shanaō dropped short sword, - More than one blade in one sleeve can be hidden.
    One step followed and another short sword from the sleeve penetrated another throat. With a panicked cry, the others attacked him, but failed.
    - Lesson five, - Shanaō dropped the second short sword and did circular movement of the katana tip, - Watch closely for my blade you should, then maybe see a strike of mine you can, - katana slightly cut second-last live, - But death your can’t! - Shanaō dropped the katana, drew another and chopped down the head of the cutted.
    - Now you, - Shanaō turned to a frozen, terrified leader, - Insulted sensei you and get your lesson now.
    - Please have mercy on me! I was wrong, I understood, I swear! - the sword in the hands of the young Lion was shaking about a chō* a second.
    - I see, afraid you are seeing me, - Shanaō nodded, - But mistaken you're. Lesson six, the most scared invisible is, - Shanaō disappeared and then on the Lion’s body appeared one after another four gashes.

- Bullock, get up, - voice came to Shanaō as though from afar, - Do it! Hear me apprentice do you?
    - Y..yes, master, - the young man could hardly speak, - What happened?
    - Enemies of yours not live anymore. Killed by your hands.
    - What? How? I remember… nothing! Where are… - Shanaō looked around surprised and saw bodies scattered around and chopped up, - Sensei?... I don’t understand.
    - Don’t you of course. Teacher am I, you only student yet. Change this will once. Not today. Today take care of the bodies you have to. To Kuramayama return I shall now. Tomorrow see you, young Shanaō.

*Chō - unit of measurement for length, 357 ft 11 in.

Spoiler: Tables
    Show
    LE Yakfolk Warrior 1/Expert 1/Iaijutsu Master 10/Gladiator 1

Spoiler: Stats table
    Show
    Abilities Initial Race/Template Age 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th Total
    STR 9 8 -3 14
    DEX 15 -3 12
    CON 13 4 -3 14
    INT 14 4 2 20
    WIS 10 4 2 16
    CHA 16 4 2 4 26

Spoiler: Leveling table
    Show
    Level Class Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Reflex Save Will Save Skills Feats Class Features
    1st Monstrous Humanoid-1 1 0 2 2 24: {+4 CC} Concentration: 2; {+4} Disguise: 4; {+4 CC} Iaijutsu Focus: 2; {+4 CC} Intimidate: 2; {+4 CC} Sleight of Hand: 2; {+4} Use Magic Device: 4; Power Attack—Iaijutsu, Improved InitiativeB, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Falshion)B Body meld, command genie, darkvision 60 ft., use staff
    2nd Monstrous Humanoid-2 2 0 3 3 6: {+1 CC} Concentration: 2.5; {+1} Disguise: 5; {+1 CC} Iaijutsu Focus: 2.5; {+1 CC} Intimidate: 2.5; {+1 CC} Sleight of Hand: 2.5; {+1} Use Magic Device: 5;
    3rd Monstrous Humanoid-3 3 1 3 3 6: {+1 CC} Concentration: 3; {+1} Disguise: 6; {+1 CC} Iaijutsu Focus: 3; {+1 CC} Intimidate: 3; {+1 CC} Sleight of Hand: 3; {+1} Use Magic Device: 6; Quick Draw
    4th Monstrous Humanoid-4 4 1 4 4 6: {+1 CC} Concentration: 3.5; {+1} Disguise: 7; {+1 CC} Iaijutsu Focus: 3.5; {+1 CC} Intimidate: 3.5; {+1 CC} Sleight of Hand: 3.5; {+1} Use Magic Device: 7;
    5th Monstrous Humanoid-5 5 1 4 4 6: {+1 CC} Concentration: 4; {+1} Disguise: 8; {+1 CC} Iaijutsu Focus: 4; {+1 CC} Intimidate: 4; {+1 CC} Sleight of Hand: 4; {+1} Use Magic Device: 8;
    7th LA +2 - - - - 0: Concentration: 4; Disguise: 8; Iaijutsu Focus: 4; Intimidate: 4; Sleight of Hand: 4; Use Magic Device: 8;
    8th Warrior-1 5 5 4 4 6: Concentration: 4; Disguise: 8; Iaijutsu Focus: 4; {+4} Intimidate: 8; {+2 CC} Sleight of Hand: 5; Use Magic Device: 8; Weapon Focus (Katana)
    9th Expert-1 (Middle Age) 6 5 4 6 10: {+2} Concentration: 6; Disguise: 8; {+5} Iaijutsu Focus: 9; Intimidate: 8; {+3} Sleight of Hand: 8; Use Magic Device: 8;
    10th Iaijutsu Master-1 7 5 4 7 8: {+2 CC} Concentration: 7; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 10; Intimidate: 8; {+2} Jump: 2; Sleight of Hand: 8; {+3} Tumble: 3; Use Magic Device: 8; Weapon FinesseB Weapon finesse, canny defense
    11th Iaijutsu Master-2 8 5 6 7 8: {+2 CC} Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 11; Intimidate: 8; {+2} Jump: 4; {+1 CC} Sleight of Hand: 8.5; {+2} Tumble: 5; Use Magic Device: 8; Martial Study (Cloak of Deception) Lightning blade
    12th Gladiator-1 9 7 6 7 8: {+8} Bluff: 8; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; Iaijutsu Focus: 11; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 4; Sleight of Hand: 8.5; Tumble: 5; Use Magic Device: 8; Improved FeintB Improved feint
    13th Iaijutsu Master-3 10 8 6 8 9: {+2 CC} Bluff: 9; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+2} Iaijutsu Focus: 13; Intimidate: 8; {+1} Jump: 5; {+2 CC} Sleight of Hand: 9.5; {+2} Tumble: 7; Use Magic Device: 8;
    14th Iaijutsu Master-4 11 8 7 8 9: {+2 CC} Bluff: 10; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 14; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; {+2 CC} Sleight of Hand: 10.5; {+4} Tumble: 11; Use Magic Device: 8; Mercurial Strike, Combat ExpertiseB Bonus feat
    15th Iaijutsu Master-5 12 9 7 8 9: {+2 CC} Bluff: 11; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+2} Iaijutsu Focus: 16; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; {+2 CC} Sleight of Hand: 11.5; {+3} Tumble: 14; Use Magic Device: 8; Strike from the Void
    16th Iaijutsu Master-6 (Old) 13 9 8 9 9: {+4 CC} Bluff: 13; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 17; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; {+3 CC} Sleight of Hand: 13; {+1} Tumble: 15; Use Magic Device: 8;
    17th Iaijutsu Master-7 14 9 8 9 9: {+4 CC} Bluff: 15; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 18; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; {+1} Sense Motive: 1; Sleight of Hand: 13; {+1} Tumble: 16; Use Magic Device: 8; {+2} Sudden Draw; Surprising Riposte
    18th Iaijutsu Master-8 15 9 9 9 9: {+2 CC} Bluff: 16; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 19; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; {+1} Sense Motive: 2; Sleight of Hand: 13; {+3} Tumble: 19; Use Magic Device: 8; {+2} Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw; One strike, two cuts
    19th Iaijutsu Master-9 16 10 9 10 8: {+5 CC} Bluff: 18.5; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 20; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; Sense Motive: 2; Sleight of Hand: 13; Tumble: 19; Use Magic Device: 8; {+2} Group Fake-Out, Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw; Skill Focus (Iaijutsu Focus)B Bonus feat
    20th Iaijutsu Master-10 17 10 10 10 9: {+5 CC} Bluff: 21; Concentration: 8; Disguise: 8; {+1} Iaijutsu Focus: 21; Intimidate: 8; Jump: 5; {+3} Sense Motive: 5; Sleight of Hand: 13; Tumble: 19; Use Magic Device: 8; Group Fake-Out, Hidden Blade, Sudden Draw; Riposte Strike with no thought

Spoiler: Ages
    Show
    Spoiler: Young (1-8 ECL)
    Show

Young Gozu was an unusual Yakfolk. He still was at most yakfolk, but... he has some connection with the spirit of one dead human, Kakita Rensei. He didn't know why, but it is. Gozu tried to ignore it and thought he succeeded. But one day he looked at himself and saw a skilled swordsman, whose preferred weapon isn't falshion, but katana. He understood at this moment he should no longer resist and accepted his spiritual connection.

Gozu is almost a regular Yakfolk now. A bit less strong, a bit more charismatic and smart, with some unusual feats, but it all isn't big deal.

Spoiler: Middle Age (ECL 9-15)
    Show

Wisdom comes to Gozu with age. He saw advantages of his connection with ancient spirit. It was the spirit of the great warrior legendary duelist, and even yikaria had something to learn from him. Gozu upped his skills with katana and iaijutsu. For some time he fought for money in arenas using and checking his skills, but he quickly realized it isn't the way. After that he departed to Kurama Mount where he continued his training in isolation.

One level of the Expert to meet skill Requirements for Iaijutsu Master. Five levels of the Iaijutsu Master and one of the Gladiator. Gozu now is a hazardous duelist and can be a strong enemy in regular fights. Level of Gladiator gives him free Improved Feint and in-class Bluff to use it successfully.

Spoiler: Old (ECL 16-20)
    Show

Gozu-bō grew older in seclusion and with gray in his fur grew his wisdom. He was no longer looking for enemies to test his skill and prowess, but also he no longer hid from everyone, how it was during his first twenty years on the Kurama Mount. From time to time he was certainly seen and became the origin for gossip and legends.
    Once Gozu-bō saw a young boy wearing a monk's clothing who tried to train in sword skill with a curve stick. He looked at him for several hours, then saw boy next day and day after next day.
    - All wrong you do, Bullok, - said Gozu-bō, - Front foot forward, hands downward, eyes forfard - look at your enemy should, look at your sword not.
    - How?.. How did you know my name, master? - the boy was surprised and a bit scared by Gozu-bō's appearance.
    - This matter doesn't. Want you what do matter does, - Gozu-bō replied.
    - I... I wanna take revenge for my father and my brothers, I need to become strong. Master, I see you are wise and know the way of the sword. Please take me as an apprentice.
    - Beyond your years clever you are. But not enough. I’ll take you. Next time ask you somebody what you are asking for find out first. Hard years for you will be it, apprentice.

Gozu-bō's mastery reached its peak. With two ripostes, surprising and not, he gets additional tricks to catch up the enemy flat-footed. This is a good addition to Iaijutsu Master's capstone ability Strike with no thought. Now Gozu-bō can use his Iaijutsu Focus every round, sometimes more than once.

Spoiler: Lessons
    Show
    Let's look at Gozu-bō tactics by an example of a fight between young Shanaō and his insolents.
    Lesson one. It's simple. It just Strike with no thought and charge. Whip? This is more tricky part.
    There is this sentence in the ability description:
    If an iaijutsu master of 10th level begins combat (not an iaijutsu duel) within melee range of an opponent, she gains a free surprise round, even though her opponents are aware of her presence.
    So, Gozu-bō without whip needs to be adjacent (when in medium body) to opponent to use the ability, while with whip he can stars fight on distance up to 15 ft and still be within melee range. Of course he won’t use a whip, drop it immediately when the fight begins and charge with quick drawn katana.
    Lesson two. It's slightly more complex. This is One strike, two cuts plus winning initiative due Improved Initiative and Lightning blade.
    Lesson three. Riposte and Sudden Draw. Mercurial Strike can be used instead of Sudden Draw.
    Lesson four. It's just Hidden Blade.
    Lesson five. Improved Feint plus Surprising Riposte plus One strike, two cuts. The sequence is: feint, first strike, drop the sword, draw next, second strike with Iaijutsu Focus.
    Lesson six. It's just a Cloak of Deception. With it Gozu-bō even can do full attack all with Iaijutsu Focus. Yeah, he needs enough swords at the waist.

Mention should also be made of the Strike from the Void. With Power Attack—Iaijutsu and good enough Iaijutsu Focus check Gozu-bō can get up to 10d6+80 additional damage to a single strike. Minimum additional damage is 6d6+48 (with one or two on the d20).
    It's a good idea to have +1 Focus katana, it's only about 5000 gp. Perfect katana for this purpose is a fine katana. Why fine? You can wear it like an amulet around your neck. You don't need to use Focus weapon to get its +4 bonus to Iaijutsu Focus.
    A focus weapon adds a +4 insight bonus to the wielder’s Iaijutsu Focus checks while carrying the weapon, even if the weapon is sheathed.
    Gozu-bō is a yak folk and this means he can use his Body Meld spell-like. With smart choice he can get almost any combination of feats he can want.

Spoiler: Sources
    Show
    Type Name Book Page
    Race Yakfolk MM2 200
    Class Warrior DMG 109
    Class Expert DMG 109
    Prestige Class Iaijutsu Master OA 41
    Prestige Class Gladiator Sword & Fist 21
    Skill Iaijutsu Focus OA 58
    Feat Power Attack—Iaijutsu OA 64
    Feat Improved Initiative PHB 96
    Feat Martial Weapon Proficiency PHB 97
    Feat Quick Draw PHB 98
    Feat Weapon Focus PHB 102
    Feat Weapon Finesse PHB 102
    Feat Martial Study ToB 31
    Feat Improved Feint PHB 95
    Feat Mercurial Strike Dragon Compendium 102
    Feat Combat Expertise PHB 92
    Feat Surprising Riposte Drow of the Underdark 52
    Feat Skill Focus PHB 100
    Feat Riposte Dragon Compendium 105
    Skill Trick Group Fake-Out CS 87
    Skill Trick Hidden Blade CS 87
    Skill Trick Sudden Draw CS 89
    Maneuver Cloak of Deception ToB 76
    Weapon Enchantment Focus OA, Dr#318 125, 42
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2022-06-08 at 06:37 AM.