So, in this thread, there was discussion of using a meatgrinder to generate backstory. So I'm creating this thread to branch off that side discussion, and, as is obvious from the title, to give a few reasons why I think that this is a terrible idea.

So, first off, as a rule, time played isn't backstory, it's story. Sure, I've heard of people trying to "play through their backstory". The only time I tried that? My character died during their backstory.

Yeah. Triple-botched a "stay alive" roll. Yeah. So, not a good plan.

Further, it's a terrible investment. For 3 sessions, you get 0-3 sessions worth of Story added to your character. With emphasis on numbers less that 1. Whereas, if there isn't such terrible risk of death, it would not be unreasonable to expect 3 sessions to give, wouldn't you know it, 3 sessions worth of Story.

Lastly, it is, IMO and IME, just about the worst bonding experience possible for the characters.

Imagine it: You've got 4 players, playing The 9th Doctor, Rose, Mickey, and yappy dog thing. Mickey gets killed off, and replaced by Jack. The Doctor gets killed, and regenerates into the 10th Doctor. Rose gets killed, and replaced by Donna. Donna gets killed, and replaced by Martha. The 10th Doctor gets killed, and regenerates into the 11th Doctor. Martha gets killed, and replaced by River. River gets killed, and replaced by Amy. Jack gets killed, and replaced by Rory. Amy gets killed, and replaced by Clara. The 11th Doctor gets killed, passing his limit of regenerations, but the player still can't think of a new character, GM pity artifact happens, he's given more regenerations, and regenerates into the 12th Doctor. The yappy dog thing gets sent to another dimension, and replaced by Nardole. Clara gets killed, and replaced by Bill. Nardole gets killed at the end of the session.

At start of game, yappy dog thing comes back from his extradimensional hike, and is joined by the 12th Doctor, Bill, and Jack.

Tell me, why should they get along better because of this shared experience meat grinder than, oh, I don't know, characters that were actually designed to go together, like, say, Amy and Rory?

Why is spending 3 sessions killing the characters up to the 12th Doctor, Bill, Jack, and yappy dog thing better for character development than spending 3 sessions playing the 12th Doctor, Bill, Jack, and yappy dog thing?

Sure, I can see arguments for "it give players experience with the system", or as a terrible / terribly inefficient version of several other tools (like my "sample/calibration one-shots"). But what I don't see is any reason to consider a meatgrinder a good way to produce story, back or otherwise.