1. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Character backstory - Better Source DM or player?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Also I think it is weird when lvl1 character have a long character history. We always start at level one.
    I don't. If an elf shows up at age 76, or a dwarf shows up at age 60, they've been doing stuff for most of a human life span. Heck, twenty to twenty five years is a pretty long time: quite a bit can happen in that amount of time.

And the 'long character history' is not a requirement for a back story. Summarizing what the character has become at this point (level 1, entry into adventuring as a career) can take from a few sentences to a few pages. The key is to end up with "Why am I here doing this now? I was {there} and now I am {here} about to do {something}."

One can do what Traveller (original) did and make the character background / backstory mechanically relevant, but that depends on the game system.

FWIW, a nice post about funnel/meatgrinder can be found here.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-06-09 at 10:31 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society