1. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why meatgrinders are terrible for creating backstory

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    I think my dumb brain misunderstood the sort of "trial" you were talking about, I was imagining Raistlin sitting in court, answering questions, with a possible death penalty hanging over his head. lol I'm assuming, instead, the trial was some form of adventure against dangerous magical traps, etc. (of course). I read the first six Dragonlance books like 28 years ago, but I never had Dragon magazine. I can see how that relates to a "meatgrinder in the backstory".
    I think that some years later Weiss wrote a prequel novel {1} that may have folded that little short story into it. But I have not bought any Dragonlance books in a long time so I can't be sure. I read a load of them when I was at sea in the 80s and 90s.

{1} OK, it's called The Soulforge and I suspect that Weiss embellished on the short story/vignette a great deal since she now had novel length to work with. It was published in '98 long after the the books released as trilogies were.

PM me, I may be able to get it to you in readable form with a little messing about.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-06-09 at 07:50 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society