Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
I think that some years later Weiss wrote a prequel novel {1} that may have folded that little short story into it. But I have not bought any Dragonlance books in a long time so I can't be sure. I read a load of them when I was at sea in the 80s and 90s.

{1} OK, it's called The Soulforge and I suspect that Weiss embellished on the short story/vignette a great deal since she now had novel length to work with. It was published in '98 long after the the books released as trilogies were.

PM me, I may be able to get it to you in readable form with a little messing about.
Oh, thank you! but don't go through the trouble. I'm just laughing at myself for having pictured the "trial court" meatgrinder - one after another, level 0 characters go in and must defend themselves against withering arguments from unscrupulous lawyers - which of them will be lucky or talented enough to evade their accusations and summary execution? Those who survive will, of course, establish their own firm as level 1 barristers and begin pursuing class-action suits of their own. Or maybe they want to become ambulance chasers? It's a sandbox, you can have your own goals!