Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
Some people have compared this Vecna to the Critical Role version, but honestly I've got the feeling this one would tear through end-of-campaign Vox Machina like a lightsaber through butter, if played without pulling punches.
no...well, depends on what you mean by 'without pulling punches'. if using the book of vile darkness, maybe. Vox Machina is in a lot of ways set up to straight counter this vecna.
vex was an archer, meaning it would be basically impossible to prevent her from dealing damage
vax had both his boots of haste, and just general rogue mobility on to of being a ranged attacker primarily. meaning it would be hard to prevent *his* damage.
Grog was a berserker, so he was immune to fear. and while you vecna could infinitely kite him in a 1v1, its much harder to do when trying to kite everyone else as well.
keyleth was a moon druid, so she didn't necessarily need her spells to contribute
i think pike/scalnan are the only ones that would straight up struggle.

thats not to say that this statblock wouldn't somewhat nerf all of them. obviously it wouldn't be all sunshine and roses. But just the character builds by themselves make them a decent match up for him. couple that with their sheer numbers? with 6 of them they only need to average 59 damage per character in order to kill him in the first round (and thats assuming bad initiatives, such that vecna gets the full value from his teleport). and 36 damage per turn in the first 2 rounds. they all had stupid high to-hit values from magical items, meaning his 18 AC means nothing.

but yeah...thats his big weakness. his HP, its pretty low. and against a smaller party, thats fine. he can dish out some great damage, very quickly, to minimize the incoming damage. but against a party like VM where there's a ton of them, and many of them straight up counter his defensive tools...i really don't think they'd struggle as much as you think.