Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
So I recently binge-watched this show. I never saw the original She-Ra, and I don't plan to, but this show was quite good. I really enjoyed the characters. The only irredeemably evil, completely unsympathetic character in the show was Horde Prime; all the rest felt real and understandable, even Hordak (though his actions were still inexcusable). I genuinely felt sorry for multiple characters throughout the show, and they were complex enough that I felt invested in them.

I'm not part of the LGBT+ community, but I could definitely appreciate how LGBT+ friendly the show was. It did a good job of making it feel normal without feeling either that it was trying to preach at the -phobes or just shoehorn it in. (Great examples: Bow's dads and the two princesses that were married.) That said, I did feel like

Spoiler: Specific character relationship
Show
Adora and Catra being romantically involved at the end was completely unnecessary. Love doesn't have to be romantic, and until the last season, there weren't really any obvious indications that either of them was in love with the other, just that they loved one another. Besides, having Catra together with Adora leaves poor Scorpia out in the cold, and there were plenty of indications that Scorpia had feelings for Catra.

Entrapta was probably my favorite character in the show; we need more positive portrayals of neurodivergent people that aren't caricatures.

All in all, I think this is a great show, and I recommend it. What about you all?
I absolutely loved this show, and have pretty much binged a bunch of fanfiction of it as well, and have even started writing some of my own. And in general what I loved about the show is that even though romance and relationships was a massive part of the show it never felt like the show was bogged down by those relationships. The main plot of the war and the mystery of She-Ra was always central, and it never felt like the main plot stopped to serve the relationships, but rather that the relationships were shaped by the plot, if that makes sense.

Also I really appreciated that they had a 'coming out of the closet' episode where Bow was confessing that he was a solider to his gay dads.

Spoiler: That relationship
Show
I'd disagree with that. It is pretty clear right from Season 1 that Catra wants Adora, and literally her whole motivation for fighting, is because she feels rejected by Adora joining the rebellion. And she goes into her whole spiral of trying to prove she doesn't need Adora, causing her to do more and more vile things in order to seek validation from bad people (The Horde) and chase after some ill-defined vision of 'winning'.

While Adora is hyperfocused on her own handups and martyr complex, she also is pretty much not hostile to Catra until the portal episode. Despite the many times Catra tries to maim or kill her. Her being in love with Catra was very much a 'yeah, this makes sense' moment.

You are right that Scorpia was pretty clearly interested in Catra, but it clearly wasn't reciprocated. Catra didn't love Scorpia, and would often ignore whatever nice thing she was doing in order to focus on Adora.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
I'd argue that there's one other character who is definitely irredeemable

Spoiler: spoilers obviously
Show
Shadow Weaver. There is no way to trust any redemption from her, and I think that's the intent. She's an abuser.

But otherwise agree with your assessment. Though, I'm personally fine with the thing you said you had issue with.

My main big thing.

Spoiler: Season 4 and 5 spoilers
Show
They make it sound like Angela is just getting sealed away, which has implications she can be brought back, but this is never followed up on. I didn't get the impression her heroic sacrifice actually ibvolved her functionally dying due to the way they presented it.
Spoiler: Irredeemable characters
Show
Agreed. Even her redemptive moment felt a little false. She was arguably the biggest obstacle to the heroes success for literally the entire show, right up to the final episode.

Spoiler: That spoiler
Show
I personally took it to mean she was lost in the void between dimensions (the same one that gave us Corrupted Catra) and that it wasn't a survivable experience to be in there. Even if the act itself didn't kill her, the length of time would.