Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
Spoiler
Show

Eh, I have no real issue with a redemption arc. The whole point of redemption is that people don't really deserve getting it. I kinda think it's never too late to try and be better and attempt to fix what wrongs you've committed.

That said, I also kinda hate Catra and Adora ending up together. I've personally seen far too many relationships involving one side being as aggressively and personally toxic as Catra was in the middle seasons. Like this isn't just rivals, or, people on different sides of a war. Catra's downright emotionally abusive. So, it sort of rubs me the wrong way when that gets a fairytale ending stamp of approval of "this is a healthy relationship" because I've seen when people try to make a relationship out of that, and it has not been good.

You can take the path of redemption. But that doesn't mean you're now worthy of the girl you've spent years tormenting.

But that's my own desired messages getting in the way there. I do want to see more of people realizing they can be better and create some distance from those whose lives they messed up. Taken as a whole though, it's a good show. I've seen much, much worse relationships romanticized.
Spoiler
Show
Not just in the middle seasons. Right at the start Catra was jealous that Adora was Shadow Weaver's favourite and her response to that was to try and drag Adora down to make herself look good. Which, y'know, is probably the expected behaviour for Team Evil but there's no indication that she was only doing it because that was the expected social norm. She was doing it because she was a jerk and that's how she rolled.

Her arc is basically Jerk > Evil Jerk > Accepted (to the point that Glimmer is a bit jealous of her) and she does that last step over what, 2/3 of a season?

The arc needed to reflect how she actually was from the start more, even if it meant ending the show with her having a long way to go.