View Single Post

Thread: MITD Sweet XVI and Never Been Guessed

1. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MITD Sweet XVI and Never Been Guessed

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    In my opinion, the Tower scene should probably be explained by immense strength and nothing else. Rich doesn’t follow strict D&D mechanics, and the monster wouldn’t use a special ability when he was trying to hit lightly.

No idea how that applies to the Barghest.
    Barghests gain strength as they eat others. "For every three suitable corpses a barghest devours, it gains 1 Hit Die, and its Strength, Constitution, and natural armor increase by +1". (source)

(Once they reach 27 such corpses, they evolve into a greater Barghest, weirdly losing strength in the process).

To be clear, like I said earlier, barghest have multiple issues - no teleportation, no real explanation for the circus scene, and even at 26 corpses, it's strength is 25, which is nothing to write home about.

ETA: I am unsure what version Eric the White is talking about, but the ones in the FR wiki don't seems to come with stats, so not sure how they differ from the d20 srd one which is my usual go-to for official versions of monsters.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2022-07-04 at 05:18 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est