Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneymg View Post
The thing I absolutely hate about Runesinger isn’t anything the class itself does. It’s the fact coiled blade, which seems the more generic fighter for spheres, trades so many feats and armor training for its ****ty version of tension and this dude just loses armor training. Both get 20 talents. Runes are better than tension with no class support. Hell. 6 bonus feats are better than tension with no class support. No, conscript doesn’t count because it’s level don’t qualify you for fighter only feats, mostly advanced weapon training. It’s like they’ve gone out of their way to make it annoying play with cool 1st party alternate stuff and SoM.

So runesinger is just the default sphere fighter for me. Which means the fluff about runes and stuff just kinda gets in the way and feels vestigial on most characters. 9/10 if I’m making a fighter, I ignore them except for the occasional move action stuff. If I’m making someone who teleports and stabs with elements, magus 2/whatever does it better.

Anyway, sorry about that rant.

I am constantly going back and forth on Ancient Word vs Uncial Script. Not needing martial focus is great. Eventual +5 dc is nice. But, like, 5 feats vs 1 is not nice. Maybe if I played a game I knew was going to 20 or if we were doing a high level one shot? But then I see all the non attack action things you can do with focus, and it’s super nice to not need to recover it constantly.

I don’t think cunning’s “weakness” is as bad as you rate it. It doesn’t multiply on a crit, but it wouldn’t anyway because dice don’t. In pathfinder, there’s not a ton of stuff that is immune to precision damage. Only elementals and oozes by type and incorporeal (unless your weapon is ghost touch) and amorphous creatures. That’s a problem in some games, will never be encountered in others, and in the vast majority, you’ll have a rune option that is less useful for one set piece of a chapter. Just remember that immunity to crits is not immunity to precision unless it says it is. They are separate things that just get grouped together a lot. And that pathfinder revoked most immunity to crits by type anyway.

I had an old build idea for a game that never took off using PoW to make a “failed wizard”. It was an elemental flux, shattered mirror, riven hourglass myrmidon(?) that fluffed their maneuvers as the half remembered spells. Their daddy wanted them to be a big shot wizard. But they liked the blades too much. Anyway, I’ve long thought that a Runesinger/Impossible Warrior could pull off the same feeling, albeit with very different results. Runesinger/Impossible warrior seems like a pretty good foundation anyway. Heck, I may try scrapping my conscript idea for this game and trying RSIW again.
Ah, that's right. PF removed immunity for undead, constructs, and a lot of others. I'll bump it up.