1. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Help finding an old concept; natural RAW result being magocratic city-states

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm not denying that it's fast, but the Tippyverse assumes speeds orders of magnitude faster. As in 1000 soldiers per round. 1200 in an hour is not as devestating as the setting advertises, and soldiers running full pelt at the circle from all directions (as Tippy indicates in the thread) strains my personal WSoD.

There's probably a mid point of reasonable but not breaking the setting though like a few hundred jogging through each round.

EDIT: I am, if course, we don't want any of our soldiers trampled to death. Although I struggle to get Tippy's numbers, I get 4*6*4=96/round. That means a line on each side, running at x4, each with standard human speed. Tippy seems to think that ten humans can fit in a five foot square.
    Let's push my numbers up a bit. 5' circle, so 10' wide, 2 medium creatures side-by-side. If we use the Run x3 speed from the SRD, that's 90' of movement, that's 18 pairs a round. 36 per round, 360 per minute, that's 21,600 in an hour.

I don't know that you actually get to that number, because in D&D a bunch of mooks are a whole lot less effective than a handful of highly capables. Your first 100 highly-levelled and magicked-up-the-wazoo dudes through the portal are going to win or lose the day, the rest are just mopping up and occupation troops, or getting slaughtered if the vanguard fails.

EDIT: I didn't check Tippy's math on World War I style human waves coming through the Teleportation Circles. But just having Avengers: Endgame happen to your city is plenty bad enough.