View Single Post

Thread: New Spell: Displacement

1. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: New Spell: Displacement

Quote Originally Posted by Abuzorg View Post
    That would make sense since Displacement actually is a touch spell in 3.5. But then it might be too strong to put this buff concentration-free on the party's tank. At the very least, the casting time should be 1 action if you make the range touch.
    I could see that, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Abuzorg View Post
    I didn't think it through when I posted my first comment, but it's actually more complex than I initially meant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that by RAW, the invisible condition doesn't actually prevent enemies from determining in what space you actually stand. Since the wording of this version of Displacement prevents you from hiding, all it does is essentially making you invisible right next to an image of you, giving your enemies an even more obvious indicator on where you stand. If the Displacement is momentarily cancelled, you then have to use a bonus action to re-establish this half invisibility effect. It still might be worth a 3rd level spell since it's concentration-free, but I don't think so. Maybe it would be ok the only thing that can cancel the Displacement is you being hit, just like a Displacer Beast.

What I meant with my variable adjudication comment is that I don't think that most people play the invisible condition that way since it is not that obvious that this is the RAW interpretation of the condition. What would then happen is that a GM could come up with various ways that it would be possible to figure out where exactly is the subject of Displacement around the projected image.
    I did write it with the intent that the RAW be understood to allow people to know where to attack. This is essentially a half-improved invisibility, rather than the full-on greater invisibility. I could see making it so the only thing that cancels it is being hit, and then taking a bonus action to "re-acquire" it.

Greater invisibility is level 4, and lets you get all advantages of Invisibilty-the-condition and keep attacking. This would give you everything but the ability to hide in plain "sight." Plus the negation/reestablishmetn rules borrowed from the 5e Displacer Beast.

Heck, maybe just more directly copying the displacer beast's Displacement trait would be cleaner. Making it touch range and non-concentration probably makes it sufficiently different from blur to be worthy of its own spell, as well as keeping the "on hit, it is disrupted" clause.

This makes it a lot less powerful and removes the other advantages of invisibility, such as advantage on attacks.

So, maybe something like this:

Displacement
    3rd-level illusion
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Touch
    Target: One willing creature
    Components: S, M (a billowing cloth, cape, or cloak)
    Duration: 1 minute
    Classes: Sorcerer, Wizard
    The spell projects a magical illusion that makes the target appear to be standing near its actual location, obscuring where it truly is and causing attack rolls against it to have disadvantage. If it is hit by an attack, this effect is disrupted until the target moves on its next turn. This effect is also disrupted while the target is incapacitated or has a speed of 0.
    Last edited by Segev; 2022-07-02 at 12:59 PM.