Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
Or you have someone say something...Wrong; My Tiefling was adopted by Dwarves, so therefore is a Dwarf. My non-stereotypical character is actually very stereotypical; I'm just red and have a tail...But that shouldn't ever come up because I'm actually a Dwarf, don't you know, so there's no problem.
But how should it "come up" that your character is red and has a tail? Because it sounds an awful lot like you're saying its a great opportunity to have your character face discrimination and casual racism. Which can be realistic and fun, but not every group and player wants to do that. Other answers I've gotten on this are "Growing up they would bumped their head a lot and may have found it hard to find products to maintain the horns". These are interesting foot notes, but nothing substantial, and even groups that RP may not delve into that detail.

So assuming the player or group makes the valid choice to not include racism or discrimination in the game, how would the tiefling's red skin and tail "come up" in ways that give meaningful opportunities to roleplay rather than just be clever footnotes in their backstory that potentially never come up during an actual session?