Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
Adjustable TNs drastically change the math behind everything. SR3 had adjustable TNs while SR4 had a static TN, it’s an order of magnitude more complex to deal with moving TNs and variable dicepools to the point that the value of player options are ambiguous. Players can understand larger and smaller pools without being able to quote the curve distributions, but can you pick the better roll out of 5d10TN7 and 7d10TN8 without a calculator?
I understand precisely what you are saying, I don't think it's a bad thing. SR3 is probably my favourite setting + System combo

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jester View Post
The much more important question is: do players need to know? If transparancy of success rate is relevant, anything but a percentage-based system is going to be opaque to someone. Does it matter, for the actual fun in the game to know the absolute chance, or is it sufficient, to get a rough impression of a) how good your character is supposed to be) and b) how difficult a task is?
This pretty much, why should we always know the best method to get a desired result?