Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
Largely. Also what sorts of things a competent therapist would want a person to know before medically transitioning, and possibly before social transition/large scale coming out.
Most otherwise competent therapists are rather incompetent when it comes to trans stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymage View Post
Basically if someone came in whose primary sources of information were transphobic fearmongering about how transgenderism expected small children and confused young adults to jump right to medical transition (generally using much coarser language), I was curious what the actual process entailed for the purpose of calling out said fearmongering.
It depends on the country or state or province. My opinion (as well as the opinions of some other trans people) is that we can do with a little less gatekeeping re: these lifesaving medicines and surgeries. If someone's seriously committed to transphobia, talking about the gatekeeping that already exists will be ineffective. If someone isn't, but has transphobic beliefs, I think it'd be better to explain why it's important that trans people get bodily autonomy and choice.

Of course, I try not to talk with transphobes. So I'm shooting in the dark here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
I am going back to this comment because I noticed something weird when I started hormones. Before, I could cry easily. After a while (can't remember how much time) on T, I couldn't. There would be times when I would WANT to cry, but could not force the tears to come.
Oh, interesting. I've definitely heard this before, as well as the other way around (estrogen eases crying). Personally, HRT hasn't really changed me emotionally, and I've been on it for several years. So either there's some body weirdness going on with me, or it's some kind of placebo effect related to our cultural beliefs around hormones.

Of course, "boys don't cry" is applied to literal babies, so I reckon it can't just be hormones.