View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1262 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1262 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ah but see, the goblins have green skin and fangs and the humans don't.

It's also worth pointing out that thinking purely in terms of humans on one side and goblins on the other is kind of fallacious. Once there is an actual peace mixed societies would probably emerge all over, give it a generation or two and the goblins and humans of, say, Cliffport, will find themselves having more in common with each other than with those of, say, Nowhere.

And once the interbreeding* and cross-species adoption happens, it's basically a guarantee that the two will meld into the same culture.

*This D&D, I assume that goblin-human couples are fertile. They are much closer than humans and dragons at any rate.
    I wonder if the different conclusions are due to different assumptions as to whether peace between humans/goblins/elves is possible. However long of trying (in world) they don't seem to have found the formula yet between humans lands let alone between creature types that are more obviously different from one another.

As for elves/humans, perhaps elves wanted to keep the lid on humans, and simply failed to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    The elves haven't exterminated the humans, and the humans haven't crowded the elves out.

I really have no idea why you think goblinoids would be any different.
    Have the humans not crowded the elves out. We have seen human nations all over the place on both continents. We have seen very few elves. It does seem that elves are confined to a corner of the world, and if their population grows they have nowhere to expand to without seizing it from humans.

So if humans/goblins are no different, then that would be a pretty poor outcome for goblins. Would they be different? Well we know that the comic has applied the rules stating that goblins are 'usually evil', so they may be.

* I'm not sure half goblins are possible under the rules. It's probably something that would vary in interpretation from DM to DM. In OotS, we have seen a lot more of goblins than we have of orcs or elves. But we have seen half orcs and half elves, but not half goblins. That seems to me to indicate that they probably can't cross-breed.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2022-07-25 at 08:35 AM.