Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with 'admitting' anything. I think he just made the error, decided it would be fun or funny, and rolled with it.
I'm not really convinced it was an error in the first place. Whether intentional or not, QC has long since moved from being a slice-of-life comic to being a light science fiction comic, complete with fictional colleges, AIs integrated into regular life, at least one character who is a cyborg, and... two characters who happen to be huge Vtubers more or less on accident.

Of course, I think that's part of the reason why some people aren't totally on board with this particular storyline. One of my favorite writing professors called it the "aliens playing poker" problem. To wit: If you have two characters who are both not human playing poker, no one is going to notice how weird or unrealistic or strange the alien physiologies are because we don't really have any frame of reference for it. But if they're playing poker wrong, readers are going to pick up on that and nitpick the heck out of it, because even if it's 200 years in the future and poker will logically have evolved significantly beyond its modern state, poker is a real thing with an understandable reference point.

The AI stuff is easy to accept as "it's all made up" because we have no actual human-level AIs to use as a baseline. But two super-popular streamers living in the same town without knowing it and feeling like they're way more successful than they "should" be? We have real numbers and sources to base that on, that's easier to scrutinize.

(Personally I'm just lukewarm on the story. I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it, exactly, it's just not focusing on characters or a plotline that I'm particularly engaged with at the moment. But not all of them are going to be, and hey, it's nice to have a story about Marigold that isn't focused on her relationship or a story about Aurelia that's unrelated to her children.)