Deal with a Demon

"Sorry, you couldn't have possibly known, but the wife and I tied the knot in secret just a few weeks ago, and it would be unseemly of me to allow you or any other visitor to be much more comfortable than this, not even a month into our marriage," Magtok politely rebuffs Katherine's advances, somehow managing to sound genuinely apologetic about it, as if she's the one missing out, and will have to spend the rest of her life kicking herself for not making her move sooner. How tragic, to come so close to the Lord Magtok, and get turned down just because of a dumb little mortal thing like marriage. Maybe if she had magicked herself up a pair of cat ears...Still, he does do Katherine the courtesy of letting his throne sink enough to let him sit at eye level, instead of the needlessly intimidating height it started from, where it had forced her to lift her chin up just to see him. That's something, I guess.

"Can I ask who else you've made this pitch to? Has Vigil made their stance on your organization known?" he asks, once she's finished her speech. Making money by investing in the community they might be moving into is all well and good, but if he could do so while snubbing Wenomir and the rest of the WATCHFORCE, throwing money at the demons that keep making their lives complicated, that'd be even better. We could run into some issues with Ilpholin, but it wouldn't be that hard to smooth them over. Just say something like 'if the demons are all in one district they'll be easier for you to hunt, right?' and we should avoid any particularly ugly drama with her. We can't live our whole life worrying about what old friends with psychological issues think of us, anyway. If Ilpholin still hasn't gotten tired of murdering demons out of misplaced guilt for what happened with Darcy, that's on her.