Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
This was my problem with it, certainly. Everybody was a martial adept. It is the same problem that points-based systems have for me. But at least points-based systems have enormous flexibility to customize your everything to make up for the fact that everything uses the exact same subsystem. (There's more nuance to this than I can cram into a short reply, and I doubt anybody wants to read an essay right here and now. Hopefully it's clear enough.)
My group found the 4e warrior defender/striker types to be incredibly samey outside their class specific mark/bonus damage mechanics. They thought the casters were super samey too, being mostly area/single attacks with ok damage or crap damage and a rider. Except the fighter 'come and get it' that we referred to as the gravity shift fighter spell.

The person who tried bard got pretty pissed. Had taken a bow, implement, and weapon powers by just picking what sounded good off the list. The forced switching and trying to keep up three required item to-hit bonuses just was insane.

Warlord could be pretty unique with the ally attacks. But nobody, not even a first time rpg player with no d&d history at all, could get over the shout healing.