Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
"They don't restore anything useful to *me*" is how they currently work. As I mentioned repeatedly, I don't want that.

I'm fine, repeat, fine with them being useful. I just don't want them to be required for anyone, because that gives the DM more freedom. They don't have to worry about building in one hour breaks regardless of what is happening in the story, because failing to do so means the monk and warlock are now screwed and the fighter doesn't get their nuke back.
Oh, I agree, that is the problem currently. I think the solution is to give MORE classes/subclasses SR features, NOT to make FEWER features SR-related.

I don't think it is actually a problem for DMs to "work an hour of rest into the adventure." I think that tends to happen fairly naturally. And, if the DM and players feel they can't spare that much time, they can tweak the timing of a short rest down to whatever they feel it should be.

Frankly, I think we need potions or even mundane items that can serve to shorten or replace short rests, too. But, again, an hour? It's a touch awkward, but not ridiculously so. If the party is using rituals, that's only 6x as long as it takes to cast one.

Also, I am a fan of trying to structure time a bit more, using 10-minute "turns" in dungeons (inspired, I admit, by 1e rules on the subject) to both mark time, mark major actions by players, and to give some structure. And a short rest is just six turns under that, which isn't that big of a deal.

But...again...I have trouble picturing a game where the DM had to "find time to squeeze in" short rests, but the party had any opportunity to take long rests.