1. - Top - End - #136
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Opinion: will you be reluctant or eager to switch from 5E to 6E?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Oh, I agree, that is the problem currently. I think the solution is to give MORE classes/subclasses SR features, NOT to make FEWER features SR-related.
    That's what I'm proposing too. Where I think we differ is that I want all SR features (new and old) to not require more than one short rest per day for the class to function. If you get 2 or more, great, and if you don't, you don't feel cheated/screwed. Psionic Energy Dice (Soulknife and Psiwar) are a great example of this - you benefit from every single SR, but if you get zero you can still contribute for a full day.

I don't think it is actually a problem for DMs to "work an hour of rest into the adventure." I think that tends to happen fairly naturally.
    A lot of the time it does, but not always. And I think the campaigns where this is never a problem don't have anything to worry about either way, so of course they're going to concentrate their design on the tables having trouble.

Frankly, I think we need potions or even mundane items that can serve to shorten or replace short rests, too.
    Not a potion - but Scroll of Catnap?

But...again...I have trouble picturing a game where the DM had to "find time to squeeze in" short rests, but the party had any opportunity to take long rests.
    In a lot of busy jobs, you're lucky to get 1 hour-long break per 8-hour shift. Some don't even give you 30 minutes uninterrupted (though that's illegal in many jursidictions IIRC). So it's not unheard of, and that's without taking into account any of the scenarios I mentioned earlier where time might be of the essence due to the situation itself.

Now, I agree with you that the time per short rest can be tweaked to compensate, but that starts to run into other balance considerations like Warlocks maintaining multiple hour-long buffs when they're not supposed to be, etc.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2022-08-01 at 02:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)