Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
Probably easiest and quickest change would be to houserule LTH so it's not a ritual. Or just ban it entirely.
While I see why that's an issue, just having rooms to barricade go a long way. If the module goes out of its way to spell out that the only wandering monster available doesn't approach that room, and gives no time pressure....

Forge of Fury's glitterhame level is awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
That's what I'm proposing too. Where I think we differ is that I want all SR features (new and old) to not require more than one short rest per day for the class to function. If you get 2 or more, great, and if you don't, you don't feel cheated/screwed. Psionic Energy Dice (Soulknife and Psiwar) are a great example of this - you benefit from every single SR, but if you get zero you can still contribute for a full day.
Yeah, that does seem to be where we differ. If that's the direction they go, it could be okay, but only if they are very careful to give resource restoration at SR as well as LR. I have seen a lot of moving things to LR with more uses, but not much that is getting smaller restorations as SRs.

A lot of the time it does, but not always. And I think the campaigns where this is never a problem don't have anything to worry about either way, so of course they're going to concentrate their design on the tables having trouble.
My experience has been the opposite: the trouble is in justifying only taking that short rest for reasons that make sense IC when LR lets you nova the next fight, too.

Not a potion - but Scroll of Catnap?
I knew there was something. Yeah, things like that being more prevalent.

In a lot of busy jobs, you're lucky to get 1 hour-long break per 8-hour shift. Some don't even give you 30 minutes uninterrupted (though that's illegal in many jursidictions IIRC). So it's not unheard of, and that's without taking into account any of the scenarios I mentioned earlier where time might be of the essence due to the situation itself.
Adventuring is rarely that busy, and is often self-paced on a more-than-during-immediate-combat level. I have yet to see a module that creates so much time pressure that a SR is unfeasible if you clear a section of the dueon that comprises maybe three encounters at most. At MOST. Often, you can secure a locale with just one encounter.

Now, I agree with you that the time per short rest can be tweaked to compensate, but that starts to run into other balance considerations like Warlocks maintaining multiple hour-long buffs when they're not supposed to be, etc.
Granted, some additional thought has to go into it. Concentration goes a ways towards limiting this, but between being over-applied and other issues, that's not enough by itself. But thus is the kind of thing a good DMG would discuss alongside the possibility of changing length of short rests.