1. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Opinion: will you be reluctant or eager to switch from 5E to 6E?

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Sure. You can't always guarantee a 1-hour break happens NOW. But the DM also can arrange for natural break points before boss fights. Or for scrolls of catnap to be available. >_> <_<
    I have a stock item that I tend to provide periodically (usually when I know there's a boss fight and no sane way to rest and it makes sense to provide them; they can be bought in some areas):

Potion of Apprentice's Friend
    Common potion.

This potion takes one minute to drink. After having been drunk, the user receives the benefit of a short rest.

Special: For every such potion drunk after the first since completing a long rest, the drinker must make a Constitution saving throw with DC = 10 + 5*number of these potions drunk since the last long rest. On a failed saving throw, the drinker also gains 2 levels of exhaustion.

------

What are these potions? Basically energy drinks. On meth. Think dark black coffee, juiced with massive quantities of both sugar and methamphetamines. Heroes are strong stuff, so they can survive one of them just fine. After that...bad things happen. Basically, it's a shorter time cost catnap scroll that anyone can use...at a price.

And yes, they can stockpile these to some degree--if only 2 people need short rests and they have 4 available, they can save some for later.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2022-08-01 at 05:05 PM.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.