Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
DMs should (IMO) provide the opportunity to benefit from SR and plan their adventuring days (the ones that are more set in stone, at least) to accommodate short rests. If the party doesn't take them or misses their chance because they decided to do <other thing> instead or waffled or otherwise burnt their chance, that's their problem IMO.
I think we're aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
Of course they're not doing anything wrong. However, altering the game to encourage 5 minute adventuring days in order to accommodate the players in such games isn't fixing anything. Those players will still be out of resources. And now have no time for a long rest, either.

I'm more okay with your proposed fix than with what WotC is actually showing signs of doing. I still prefer stronger lean-in to SRs, though, myself.
I think I'm missing something - I don't see how "there's a time limit so you can't stop for an hour" somehow "encourage 5 minutes of adventure and then resting for 8 hours. The whole point of having a timed plot is to discourage both approaches.