Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
I disagree. I think managing resources around the uncertainty of replenishment is an important part of the problem solving process, to say nothing of game balance. If a wizard can just burn all their spell slots without concern that they might not have a resource they need, then the limits on the resource are not actually affecting the game at all and may as well not be present.

If youre going to nova, or burn a dozen spells unlocking chests, or hunting for traps or whatever, you should have to weigh the opportunity cost of those resources not being available later when you decide to do those things.
Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobahfish View Post
RE: Short rests

I think the basic important arguments here are:
#1: DMs confecting reasons to deny rests is lame and should only happen with a specific purpose in mind (in the same way putting people in a desert has a specific purpose in mind - water scarcity). It sounds almost like people are confecting rest-denial as a form of ad-hoc balancing which sounds terribad (either as the game is badly designed or just pointless malice on the parts of the DM).
#2: Any class that is structurally SR dependent (Monks, Warlocks) is problematic at tables which don't Short Rest (never been at one of those myself).
"Your band of underdog heroes trying desperately to save the world don't always have an uninterrupted hour in a day (much less 2-3 of them!) to sit around doing nothing but shooting the breeze" is not "confecting rest-denial." It's simply having a plot with stakes and urgency, which most good ones do.