So, another confusing thing I got off twitter the other day. A transwoman who had just undergone feminization surgery was complaining about the term "feminization" because in their mind they were always a woman, and therefore everything about them was, by definition, completely feminine.

Which again, to me is the epitome of a meaningless circular argument, but at the same time is about the only definition of gender identity I ever see. The equivalent of "I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
No worries. I was in fact defending Juniper's position
That's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
No. Adding more vague and hotly debated constructs arguably confuses the issue more.
You don't understand or you don't agree?

If the former, the idea is that sex and race are both collections of anatomical traits that are generally shared by a certain population of humans, and that gender and culture are a certain set of behaviors that are generally shared by a certain set of humans, and people often conflate sex with gender and race with culture.

Of course, that really doesn't have anything to do with "gender identity" which is what I am really trying to wrap my head around.