Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
For clarification, I found those run club rules and copy/paste them for simplicity. I see them as more guidelines or inspiration for myself.
I think I would like to try keeping the adventure length down to 1-4 sessions. Our one-shots usually take us 1.5 four hour sessions.
I'm struggling to articulate why, but I really like the idea of making sure everyone DMs before the next round. I don't think keeping to a strict rotation lineup is necessary. Life happens and shuffling would be expected. But there's a certain reciprocity if everyone has to take their turn. I also don't see any issue with people sticking to their comfort level. Maybe one person just does a session of 1 hr of real content fluffed with antics. And another asks if they can take an extended 7 session deep dive.
For my table I don't see too much issue with the "non-DMs" running something ridiculous or light. We've been playing together for over 2 years and there's no illusions of each other's style and involvement. Plus if we did run spelljammer, the setting is ripe for lighthearted shenanigans.

I think as contrived as it may be, each PC has to sit out for the session while the owner DMs. Perhaps creating such a plot device should be a topic for session 0.
If you’ve got an existing group you’re interested in applying this to, then this conversation is one best to have with them. Still, going into that conversation forearmed with knowledge and ideas is a good plan. So what can we tell you, specific to your situation?

Yes, Spelljammer seems a very appropriate setting for trying out rotating GMing.

What if your group is like, “we need to go back to location X (that was run by GM Y)”, when it isn’t their turn to run? What if they do so as a suggested solution to player Z’s game? How much will the metagame influence the game?

Does your group have experience with… hmmm… “not cookie cutter” parties? If the GM’s PC is sitting out, and everyone is GM, you need two of everything to have one of everything in every party. This may be a good time to have everyone run multiple PCs.

I guess a “watch rotation” could explain why you rotate who stays with the ship vs who “beams down” to explore the planet?

Discuss where you all stand on the spectrum of “WBL is a physical property of the universe” to “we’re fine running the party after they looted the Justice Lords”.

Discuss where you all stand on the related spectrum of “your actions have meaning and lasting effects” to “episodic play with anticipation of returning to baseline”.

Discuss where you all stand on the related spectrum of “long-term negative effects” vs “She turned me into a newt! … I got better”.

Discuss where you all stand on the related spectra of rate of leveling, and CaW vs CaS.

That is, if I’ve planned a “sporting” adventure for level 3 PCs, but, before it’s my turn to run, they’ve reached level 8, and have a dozen Space Viking bodyguard henchmen, is that a problem?

Had you gone with a pure “run club” format, I might have suggested “everyone runs a session, gain a level”.