View Single Post

Thread: power creep in starting ability scores

1. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: power creep in starting ability scores

Quote Originally Posted by tchntm43 View Post
    Clearly we can at least agree that the worst option is the very old-school style "Roll 3d6. This is your Strength. Roll 3d6. This is your Dexterity... etc etc, now choose a race and class from among those that you meet the ability score requirements for."
    I agree to nothing. In my day Elves were a class and it was possible to have a Wizard die from having negative HP in character creation *shakes fist at sky*

In reality we have done with 4d6 drop lowest or point buy at our table. Depending on the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    Being stuck for months with a character that sucks is pretty bad, and saying "well you accepted the risk, suck it up buttercup" doesn't make it suck any less. Which is why I prefer "point-buy or your choice between a 4d6b3 that you've rolled or standard array".

If you're unlucky and roll poorly, you might not get the exact character you want, which I agree should not be a given, specially if you took the risk of rolling, but at least you will be competent. And, more importantly from the DM point of view, more in-line with the system's expectation. Why simultaneously make life worse for the player and harder for you?
    I've also seen a lot of 4d6 drop lowest or point buy as a back up. That way you have a floor value on your stats even if RNG hates you.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2022-08-09 at 06:00 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer