Quote Originally Posted by Reynaert View Post
Maybe counter the "we used to do this thing which is newer than the standard thing so doing the standard thing is going backwards" with an even newer method of rolling?

I haven't worked out the balance (if any) yet but I'm thinking of a system where you roll 30d6, (or maybe a few more) and each d6 gives you one point-buy point in the corresponding stat (so 1=str, 2=dex, 3=con, 4=int, 5=wis, 6=cha), and then you see which race and class would go with those stats. Not sure what to do with leftover points (where you need more points to up a stat), I guess something like, those can be freely redistrubuted at the end?
Out of curiosity I tried your method for 3 rolls. Overall not a bad distribution.

11,12,14,14,10,14 (No points left over)
15,13,9,13,12,11 (3 points left over, 1 STR, 1 DEX, 1 CON)
11,13,15,12,13,10 (2 Points left over, 1 DEX, 1 WIS)

I suppose a rule like "If you have 1 excess point from a higher stat you may move that point to a lower stat, if you have 2 or more excess points you may move a point from one stat to another that also had an excess point. Odd numbers of points may be moved to a lower stat according to the prior rule." (Im sure that could be worded better.)

Hypothetically this is a self-balancing system. Even if you get none of 2 numbers the others should result in stats of 14 or 15.
Probably decide on a stat cap or point value for stats beyond 15, (11 or 12 points for a 16 etc.)

Overall interesting enough for me to keep in my back pocket if one of my groups ask about rolling stats.