1. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: One stat to rule them all, or what if we merged Dex and Str?

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    In response to the bold... You are. Pretty much everyone in this thread is explaining how what you're doing reduces it, and you're just insisting without counterarguments that they're wrong.
    Because people in this thread are not engaging with my point. Say I want to play a nimble waif. I use leather armor, a Rapier, get proficiency in Acrobatics, Stealth and Sleight of Hand (but not Athletics), and go around trying to do Acrobatic stunts. I choose feats that enhance that archetype. I play a Rogue Swashbuckler. How is it that my character is NOT a nimble waif? Because I could carry a lot of stuff (even if I don't)?
    With the same argument, you could claim I cannot believably play a small character with high Str, because it's unbelievable that a 3' guy that weighs 40 pounds can carry around, tirelessly, 300 pounds, and it's absolutely ridiculous that he can jump for 20'. If you can believe that, you can believe that a "nimble waif" (who, remember, has actually a well developed musculature, whatever her Str score, or she wouldn't be able to do stuff that she already does in the game as it is now) can carry more stuff than she gives herself credit for.

Or what if I want to make a hulking giant? I use Plate Mail, carry a Maul, get proficiency in Athletics (but not Stealth or Acrobatics) and go around making a lot of noise. I get the GWM feat. I choose the Fighter Rune Knight class. I choose an Orc as my race. How is it that I'm not a hulking giant? Because I can competently fire a bow with which I've been trained (which I should be able to, anyhow)?

So, what, exactly, is the archetype that I'm losing?
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2022-08-10 at 12:52 PM.