1. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: One stat to rule them all, or what if we merged Dex and Str?

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    And I'm talking about how, in most cases, you can describe it in a way that fits how you envision your character. Your nimble waif was knocked down by the raging bull (assuming what you're describing is a successfull hit from a Bull and then a successful str save against being knocked prone from the waif), but just jumped up from the floor immediately, because she's just that nimble, and has almost supernatural core strength. The result is the exact same as the hulk withstanding the bull with sheer strength,(I.e, they are both not prone) but the description is different.

By the way: one of the design goals of this change would be to give a relative buff to martials (because they have a greater incentive to pump either Str or Dex). Pointing out: "this makes a martial succeed in some situations he'd have failed otherwise" is the change working as intended.
    But I am talking about the other cases. There are cases where you are making a check the character is not meant to be good at and then should be able to fail. That nimble waif failed the opposed Strength check and was trampled against the cobblestones. They did not suddenly leap back up to their feet because "being nimble means never failing a strength check".

I am also talking about characterization. You decided my nimble waif had "almost supernatural core strength" despite that being false. Your nimble waif might have supernatural core strength. Mine doesn't. Mine has below average core strength but above average flexibility and precision.

Your nimble waif passes all their strength checks because they make none. Even if you can't imagine how this strength check could be replaced by something in character, you will go along with the assumption that somehow it worked. My nimble waif passes some strength checks and fails others. Sometimes they don't get to ignore their lower strength and they feel the impact of that characterization.

If you merge Strength and Dexterity into Physique you delete my nimble waif. There are pros and cons to that, but your nimble waif is not the same as mine. Seeing the difference will help understand the cons of the merger and thus help accurately evaluate if this change is a good idea. (I think you are well aware of the pros already )
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-08-10 at 05:12 PM.