1. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: One stat to rule them all, or what if we merged Dex and Str?

Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
    It's interesting how the argument in the thread went from "it's not nice to your group to not attempt something that your character is perfectly capable of doing because RP" to "I want my character to fail at things"
    It is the same elephant. We are just describing different aspects.

It is a low Str high Dex converted into a high Physique character. Now it magically has inappropriately high Str and passes checks it should have failed, or it passes all Str checks because it never rolls any Str checks (see next quote), or it reinvents Str/Dex by applying ad-hoc penalties to restore the thematic. A catch-22 between those 3 options.

so I don't know what you mean by "passes all Str checks"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuous_truth
    If a character never rolls any Str checks, then they pass all their Str checks.

I don't know about you, but I want my character to succeed at everything she tries.
    I would rather play the character than have them succeed. Part of the character are their flaws and weaknesses. The areas they are not as good. They will generally try things they are good at, but sometimes their weaknesses are challenged despite their efforts and intentions. (like if they tried to shoot the bull and the bull decided to introduce the waif to the road)

If you merge Str and Dex I can't play a low Str high Dex character. Either their Str never comes up (n/a Str high Dex), or when it comes up, it reveals the character is actually a high Str character (high Str high Dex).

PS: RE core strength:
    Dexterity is already a large umbrella but core strength sounds like ave-mid Strength or ave Con to me depending on what you mean. Maybe that was a miscommunication between us. However it is irrelevant.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2022-08-10 at 06:24 PM.