1. - Top - End - #383
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Opinion: will you be reluctant or eager to switch from 5E to 6E?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
    Which is not one Segev is arguing because you are taking into account what the character could know/do whereas Segev is saying that if it's something he personally finds hard to do in real life then it's going to be hard for a character to do as well. So if Segev isn't a doctor and can't diagnose/treat an illness then the DC for that check is going to be 25+ because being a doctor is very hard and it doesn't matter that my character's background is in fact a doctor, if it's hard for Segev in real life it's hard for every character in the game.
    No, that is not what I have said. I have said that my experience with rope climbing, both personal and observed, is that it is very difficult, and only some people can do it reliably. I would therefore never expect an untrained, untalented, 8-strength wizard to be able to climb a rope. DC 20 is the minimum that fits that.

Genre convention - or rather, expectations of the game rules - are that climbing something that isn't (particularly) hard to climb should just be automatic. Ropes are clearly things people use to climb, so they can't be "particularly hard to climb" in the terms intended by the game when the game goes out of its way to say that climbing normally doesn't require a check.

I am not a medical doctor; you're correct. I would not, however, expect that diagnosing a disease is ultra-hard; in my experience, people do it all the time without medical degrees, with sufficient success to treat it at the level that D&D typically needs it to be.

You do not accurately represent my position, in other words. Instead, you seem to wish to attack me, personally, and my alleged motives and/or intellectual bias, rather than addressing the case I have raised. Nobody has yet addressed it, other than to scoff and say, "You know better, and I refuse to play this game." That is not actually proving me wrong.

I have yet to see anybody provide for how the claims that:

• I should know that DC 20 is too high for climbing a rope
    • I should use the criteria outlined in this thread that allegedly are implied by the non-closed loop in the book on calling "DC 10 is easy" etc. sufficient to make DCs, which I have outlined how that tells me DC 20 is probably right
    • The fact that I know better because there is actually a guildeline in the book regarding how hard climbing things should be means there is no need for such guidelines because I should have known without it

...are a logically consistent, non-self-contradictory set of premises.

Please show me how rope climbing is objectively definitely something that should require no check, based on the criteria given for setting skill check DCs. The best you'll be able to do, I wager, is quote the flow chart Psyren provided, and assert that most of the time it's just plain uninteresting if the PCs fail to climb that rope. If I am right, then you've failed, because there are always other ways forward; problem-solving is part of the game. And if that's your criteria, then it also should be automatic to read those magic arcane runes even if you just have a party of big dumb fighters since it's uninteresting if you can't read those runes. (Hint: you shouldn't have those runes needing to be read to advance things, or you should have a means for the party to get them read by somebody who can provide the info they need. Problem-solving, alternate ways forward, etc.)

In the end, what nobody has been able to do is show that the case where we have a guideline that changed my determination for the DC of an ability check - and everyone seems to agree that my DC, which I'd be arguing for if we only had the criteria spelled out by people in this very thread for determining DCs as being the most sensible one, is egregiously high - doesn't demonstrate that guidelines for what the game's baseline expectations are about basic PC capabilities are good and even necessary. Instead, people have resorted to ad hominem attacks on my character and my intellectual honesty.

Never mind that I stand by my claim that, absent the genre convention that ropes just are climbable because that's a genre convention, your untrained 8 Str character should never be able to climb a rope, and your untrained Str 10 character should have a very hard time doing so.
    Last edited by Segev; 2022-08-11 at 04:43 PM.