View Single Post

Thread: Animal Companions for Everyone (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Animal Companions for Everyone (PEACH)

I'd cap the HD at your proficiency bonus. (not counting expertise)

Then add in a mechanism to make a beast loyal to you (capped by your proficiency bonus).

Curious why a wolf isn't an acceptable pet? It is 2 HD.

The beast's number of hit dice increase (but never decrease) to equal your own, and its maximum hit points increase accordingly.
    I'd grant it extra HD, up to your proficiency bonus. A 20 HD pet seems a lot.
    The beast's proficiency bonus increases (but never decreases) to equal your own
    Here, I'd be tempted to just grant your proficiency bonus to its attack rolls, AC and saving throws.

The difference is going to be 2 points, and the math is insanely easier.
    If you can make two or more attacks with the Attack action, you can forgo one or more of them and order your companion to make them instead, up to the maximum number of attacks it can make with Attack action.
    This is a ribbon, unless you cheese it, honestly. A random beast's per-attack damage is going to be worse than a PCs.

You can probably find some beasts with better attack damage, but that is (as mentioned) the cheese route.

A system that doesn't require cheese (a narrow specific choice) to not-suck would be better. Not sure how.

Second, most beasts don't make the Attack action; they make the multiattack action.

Third, 2 or more seems like a strange restriction here.

Beast-Bonded is pretty expensive for a feat. And you get a worse scout than picking up "summon familiar" through one of many methods.

For Beast-Bonded I might go with turning your Beast into a spirit animal companion. That you can recreate if it is hurt, gains intelligence, etc.

It both provides a more meaty package and can make "oh no my beast died" less of a problem (there is still "oh no my beast got hurt").
    Last edited by Yakk; 2022-08-15 at 02:25 PM.