Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
In one of my groups we had usually a main campaign and one shots. The main had the same GM but we would rotate one shots. One shots were mostly to give the main GM a break and we'd also run it if we were short on players for the main campaign. One shots is also great to test out new systems or just do something drastically different.
Kudos for bringing that up - “not everyone” / “not enough people” can make it, but we still want to get together / play a game is a *great* opportunity for one-shots, *and* is also a great opportunity for “forever GM” to get to play by mandating that someone else needs to be GM for such one-shots.

On a completely unrelated note, while results may vary by personality type, my experience is, Chaotic “who has something that they’d like to run?” produces more inspiration, more games available in a multi-GM party than Lawful “Thou must be ready to run thine game on the next session”. Also, such Chaotic-minded scheduling is more forgiving of “oh, the PCs got Flight / 20 vials of oil / a clue? That completely invalidates my adventure trapped by a cliff / vs a troll / in the Realms”, giving the would-be GM time to retool their idea, or shelve it and craft another.

(Ok, the Realms aren’t actually invalidated by having a clue, regardless of how clueless many of their characters are portrayed as. By being a Playground Determinator, maybe, but what setting isn’t?)