Quote Originally Posted by Maxiboy View Post
Tawmis! Long time no see!
It has been a couple of years since you came up with the amazing backstory of my character Maxi the foxfolk... we concluded our campaign at 20th level earlier this year, where he finally proved himself to the librarians of Candlekeep and was granted access to the knowledge he sought of his father Laren's legacy as a Paladin, and while Maxi had been hesitant up until that point, he ultimately got to learn how well he followed his father's footsteps after all. I'm not the best writer, but if you're curious, you can check out more here if you'd like. Either way, it was such a fantastic journey, I truly thank you again.
I also wanted to post to you again because the inspiration for new character ideas has totally run dry over the past few months for me, and I finally built up the courage to ask for your help once more, if you would be up to it! You may have heard about the announcement of One D&D, where playtest material is going to be published over time in preparation for the next generation of D&D... one of the newest additions that has been unveiled is the new Ardling race, the new celestial equivalent to Tieflings which have the heads of different animals.
As I mentioned, I am dry of ideas that I genuinely feel excited about, but this new race is calling my name... so I request for you to surprise me with a story that I can once again build upon. I can say that because of Maxi, I really have grown attached to naive characters that have the potential to grow... and I find myself doing a lot of research on the many deities and lore of the Faerun, so I think having this character tied to the setting in some way would be really fun! Other than those suggestions, all I ask is for you to go for another class that isn't a cleric, just to shake things up! Let me know if you'd need more than this, I'd just love to hear what you come up with on your own this time around. Thanks again!
Awesome! Hope you enjoy it and the little bits of art thrown in along the way.
As for the Ardling, with them seemingly being such a sudden addition you wouldn't think they'd be common like the Tiefling, but to me it seems like they're trying to make a sorta "good" version of the Tiefling who similarily are known having ancestors from the Outer Planes yet don't usually originate from them, unlike the Aasimar who I've always presumed to be actual outsiders... but who knows, it may turn out to be the other way around. I encourage you to stick with your depiction or instead write an Aasimar if you'd be more comfortable having more material to work with.
If you'd like me to pick between a spellcaster or a more martial class, I'd prefer the former, but I love any character who knows a thing or two about casting spells. Thanks for asking.
Haha I getcha now reading back over Aasimar as I wrote my last post I began to wonder how they will differentiate the two down the line, we will just have to wait and see. I appreciate your assuring words too, from one artist to another I'm just really shy when it comes to asking for things, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind!
As for the animal... I actually have all my d&d characters associated with one, so that admittedly may be a tough call on my part. I haven't gotten around to playing a dog, bird, or sheep character, all of which I know have their importance in the Upper Planes... maybe you'd find inspiration in using one of those? I'm sure I'd have fun creating a character design around whichever you choose.
Because my own world of D&D is 101% homebrewed, I had to double back and look up Faerûn deities...
And ironically, it would be the first one in the Swordcoast Book that spoke to me...
Akadi - goddess of air
You'd mentioned perhaps a bird could be one...
And so I went with, in my eyes, the most fierce of the birds...
An Eagle.
But, you wanted someone timid, who could grow...
So I liked the idea of this fierce eagle headed person, starting off in this world as timid...
But I needed a reason...
And then it clicked.
I hope you enjoy what I've given...
As always, I'd love feedback in this thread, because it keeps it bumped and alive!
Enjoy!
===================================

Akkaris remembered little of how he’d come to be here on Faerûn – only that his first memory was finding himself in a vortex of swirling purple mist – disoriented before crashing hard near Lake Weng – the impact had rendered him unconscious. Several hours later, when he awoke – he could scarcely recall even his own name and his memories seemed to be rapidly fading from his mind. He tried to cling to them, but it had been like trying grasp the morning mist – only small fragments remained.

He could barely recall a home – a beautiful palace with beings of stunning beauty. Had he done something wrong? Had he been banished? Or was he sent here with a purpose?

The gentle lapping of Lake Weng’s waters lulled him to sleep just a moment longer. After several hours of rest, Akkaris stood up – gathered some of his belongings that had been scattered about – his pouch, some of the contents of the pouch, and a dagger. He then went to Lake Weng’s waters and ran his hands through the water, viewing his eagle headed reflection in the rippling water; he wondered again how he’d come to be here… was it banishment… or a mission? Had something gone wrong to tamper with his memories?

Akkaris traveled south from the lake and came to a road where he’d encountered several travelers, one of them – a human name Korfinian offered Akkaris a ride to Crimmor, a walled city not too far away. Akkaris accepted the ride from the rugged human, and along the ride, Korfinian asked, “I’ve personally never seen your kind before – but I know that the aarakocra do live in the Cloud Peak Mountains just north of Crimmor.”

“You’ve heard of my kind then?” Akkaris asked.

“Heard of them, sure,” Korfinian nodded. “Plenty of stories about the aarakocra of Cloud Peak. ‘The Eagle people.’”

That would make sense, Akkaris told himself. If Cloud Peak mountain wasn’t so far away, then perhaps something had happened – and he just needed to return there – discover what had happened.

After a few, short hours, the wagon pulled up to the walled city of Crimmor and Korfinian provided his credentials and the duo were able to enter the wall city. Inside the city, at their first stop where Korfinian delivered furs, the shop keeper said, “Who is your Kenku friend?”

Korfinian turned back to see Akkaris looking at the various items in the shop, impressed by what he’d seen – and yet, also horrified to see so many skinned animals.

Korfinian shook his head, “Does it he look like a crow to you?”

The shopkeeper’s wife piped up, “I think the Kenku are actually raven?”

The shopkeeper turned to his wife, “What’s the difference?”

Korfinian shook his head, “Regardless, he doesn’t look crow or raven – clearly eagle. And Kenku – whether raven or crow – their entire body looks like the bird – him, he says his name is Akkaris – it’s just his head that’s an eagle. I think he’s one of the eagle people – the aarakocra – from Cloud Peak just north of here. Says his memories have been scrambled. Going to give him a ride to the base of Cloud Peak – and hope he can find his tribe.”

“His convocation, you mean,” the shop keeper’s wife muttered.

“His conviction?” Korfinian asked.

“Convocation,” she repeated. “That’s what a group of eagles is called. Like a pride of lions.; a murder of crows; a conspiracy of ravens.”

“Sure, whatever,” Korfinian replied as he took his payment and he and Akkaris left.

After a few more deliveries in Crimmor, they traveled north together to the base of the Cloud Peak. Korfinian pointed at the tall mountains, whose peaks were – similar to the name sake – somewhere above the clouds. “Supposedly, that’s where the eagle people dwell. I wanted to wish you good luck as this wagon cannot make it up such a perilous path.” After a heartfelt farewell, Akkaris used his own magic to summon up goodberries that Korfinian could use to ensure he does not go hungry for a while, and with that make the trek up the mountain.

It’d been difficult, strenuous, and exhausting, but after three days of going up the mountain, Akkaris crested over the thick cloud cover and gazed down from where he stood. Below, the clouds blocked out the very land he’d just climbed up from – and this did indeed remind him of home. He remembered soft clouds, like pillows, all around. Had he finally found home?

It had taken nearly three more days of climbing around the peak – when he had seen a flying humanoid – that indeed bore the resemblance to an eagle – but unlike Akkaris, it had wings. For several hours, he tried to follow where his humanoid eagle had gone – off and on spotting it in the sky. He had eventually been able to track it down and discovered, as Korinian had said – there was an entire community of these eagle people – and when they’d spotted Akkaris they flew down to him to ask him his business. When Akkaris explained what had happened, the two took him to their High Priest, Eshlin’sha.

Eshlin’sha was a female aarakocra priestess, and the “Speaker of the Sky.” She was said to be the oldest aarakocra living here on Cloud Peak, having lived well beyond her years – and though by appearance, her age showed – she somehow still reflected a youthful energy about her in how she spoke and moved. “Hello,” she said, her voice as soft and gentle as the very clouds Akkaris had just climbed through. “What has brought you here to us, child?”

Akkaris felt flushed – not because of the climb, but something about being in Eshlin’sha’s presence – he suddenly couldn’t find his words – everything he had wanted to ask, suddenly seemed foolish. He cleared his throat, “Priestess Eshlin’sha, my name is Akkaris – and I have little memory of my own past. I recall a vortex and then awakening near a lake. I could not recall if I had been sent here or cast out, and had heard of the aarakocra from a human and had hoped this was my home – and though, it resembles my home, atop of clouds, I can see I am not like you.”

Eshlin’sha smiled, “Indeed, you are different. But, I may have some of what you seek. You, as you have surmised, are not an aarakocra – but rather, what is known as an Ardling of Akadi, Mother of the Skies, Goddess of Air. That’s why the clouds looks familiar. And I sense no evil in you, young Akkaris, so you were not cast out from Akadi’s domain – as a matter of fact, I sense a strong connection to nature within you – a druid perhaps?”

Akkaris felt his body grow warm again. “I am indeed tied to the world of nature, Priestess. That is one of the few things I have retained in my memory.”

“Then, perhaps Akadi has sent you here with great purpose,” Eshlin’sha indicated, “and you must find that great purpose. But know, the world of Faerûn is rife with danger. Beware of who you trust, but if Akadi has sent you here for some purpose – you will need allies. Seek those who you can trust, and perhaps the pieces to your time here will become clearer. Far to the north are a number of settlements, such as Candlekeep, Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, Neverwinter, and to the furthest north, near the Spine of the World is Luskan. Perhaps more information on your purpose, or potential allies, can be found there. I wish you great luck on the path before you, young Akkaris. Akadi has placed great faith in you.”