This is also relevant in every almost every Pokemon game to some degree. Runescape did this fairly well with archer's leather armor providing reliable magic defense, but not as much defense otherwise. Meanwhile a melee character's armor put all their magic (offense or defense) in the negative. Mages just had no real armor of any sort.Many other games have attempted it with varying levels of success.

I don't dislike this idea necessarily, rather don't really see how it could work. The concern is where spell casters (mages) in general have some way to deal with just about every possible scenario. They just get access to far too many resources for there to really be a consistent way to counter them.

We do have a few examples of a typical martial class being able to close in on the mage or even steal a mage's spell, but none of this is broad or consistent enough. Of course, while I have been playing TTRPGs for nearly a decade, I haven't played many different ones, so I wouldn't be able to provide a great variety of input either way. I'm interested in other, more experienced, well-read individuals' opinions on the matter.