Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
But even given what I’m reading from many sources about certain elements, I’d still be very surprised if we see a single encounter with elf-kind having such a transformative effect. Sam was beside himself with delight at his first sighting of elves, but he was still the same person the next day.
I'm not sure what would be worse - having a single encounter inspiring a transformative effect, or a full on meeting of cultures with a process of "civilisation" (scare quotes mine). However, I would be saddened but not surprised to see either in basically any TV show, even a massive budget/high-profile one like this, even if it doesn't fit with previous characterisation. I mean, that's how I felt on reading that it was an Australian dialect coach who made the decision to give the Harfoots Irish-based accents - I'm Australian, some of us would totally do that without thinking. While I don't know whether the accents came before or after the problematic story tropes, obviously nobody put the unfortunate implications together in time to prevent it being filmed that way. I know society can do better, so seeing individual productions continuing to do worse is disappointing, but it's not unexpected. I can continue to hope for better, though.