View Single Post

Thread: Curse of the Skull Throne

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Curse of the Skull Throne

Disclaimer: If you are a player in one of my games, or wish to be a player in one of my games at some point, this thread will contain spoilers.

I am working on setting up a new campaign arc (D&D 5e running from levels 4 to 7) and I could use help flushing out the surrounding area with fluff, encounters (combat and noncombat), side quests, npcs, etc. I should be able to populate the tower itself, but suggestions on things to go in there are appreciated.

Currently calling it "Curse of the Skull Throne" here is the premise:

Years ago a powerful necromancer (that really liked animating skeletons) was defeated while assaulting a castle. However, the necromancer’s tower remained. Many adventurers have gone there attempting to loot any treasures to be found in the tower but none have returned. Over the years pestilence and decay have slowly spread from the tower killing and corrupting the lands surrounding the tower.

In the tower is a throne made with the skull of a giant, and rumor has it that only the destruction of this throne will remove the curse. The throne is set on a large pile of bones that are hiding the entire giant’s skeleton that attacks when disturbed.

Content Ideas
    - On the borders of the forsaken former lands of the necromancer there is an Inn. On every table is a container of cutlery. Those that bring their own cutlery are served normally. Those that use the cutlery that is provided are killed and served to the next patrons that use the cutlery that is provided.
    - A flock of undead crows (only bones and feathers) follows the party cawing to draw the attention of large predators.
    - What looks like a crop of trees from a distance turns out to be dozens of huge totems made of bones.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-09-12 at 08:01 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese