Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
The weird thing is the Fullbring arc does take place like 3 months after Aizen is defeated, so there's ALREADY a timeskip. Going a little further wouldn't have been a stretch at all lol. Show me Ichigo who buckles down, finishes school with top marks (he was always shown to be smart, like #5 in his class of 300 or some ****?), and starts his life as a normal person...and then gets dragged back in.

It would also have given Kubo a chance to really justify the godawful decision of having him end up with Orihime instead of Rukia.

(Aside, I think it is genuinely a disservice to Rukia's character to just like...hand her off as a "prize" to Renji at the end of the series.)

I dunno if it would have saved the series to that extent, especially since it's not like Naruto was a weak series at all. It had its flaws in the latter half, mostly with the war arc being a bit too long and literally everything involving Kaguya, but it still actually managed to stick the landing and end on a high note.

I dunno if anyone disputes that Aizen vs Ichigo was a pretty great battle overall, though I don't know about going into that much thematic depth for it. The wordplay on their names is interesting, but ultimately what it's expressed as up until that final conflict is Ichigo tries and fails to do anything to Aizen while the latter maintains plot armor so thick it requires some serious Deus Ex Machina to justify him being defeated.

Honestly the opening that went along with After Dark tells the story better than any discussion of the themes behind their names do. Ichigo keeps trying to catch Aizen but he's always two moves ahead.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're not wrong, that thematic depth is THERE, and very cool, but again the execution lets it down.

Final Getsuga Tensho form is still rad as **** though.
I've always preferred the Orihime/Ichigo ship myself but also, yeah you're 100% correct they shoulda done that.

At the very very least we wouldn't have gotten "prize fighter boxer Chad" in the finale. Still probably my personal grouch about the Bleach ending above and beyond everything else. Fighting for charity or not he's still a PRIZEFIGHTER. In a BLOOD SPORT. Chad "I promised my abeulo my fists would only ever protect" Yasutora. Despicable. The closest the Naruto ending gets to that is "... why is Orochimaru given a lab and free reign?" and Kiba marrying the random girl who owned a cat who showed up for one page during Hidan and Kakuza's intro (which is ****ing hilarious if not, like good).