Quote Originally Posted by gbaji View Post
4. Durukon's gate. He made a dungeon that was 100% dependent on his own power to defend it, and (apparently) made zero plans for said defense after his death. The only defense after that was the glyphs/sigils, which only coincidentally happened to delay team evil (because they were evil). I'd question the creation of a magical defense that just requires "someone of good alignment" to bypass, but I also put this into the prologue section of the story, so that's just the way things are. Again, the world-builder in me would have expected him to create an order of wizards to follow in his footsteps, train them, and key the gate glyph to only open for the highest ranked member(s) of that order. Would prevent anything short of a Saruman level betrayal from ever penetrating the gates defenses. But that's just what I would have done. Maybe he was anti-social and/or paranoid or something. But in any case, as actually implemented, his defenses were by far the least likely to actually protect his gate for any longish period of time. His gate basically had a relatively low MTBF even if no one powerful ever attempted to gain access to it.
Given the fact that Girard died of old age long enough ago to be a skeleton while Dorukan was still kicking it as recently as the in comic current year, I always just assumed he had found a way to become immortal. Even without going that far, epic magic does have built in legal ways to boost your maximum age, and once the DCs got too high to let him keep going with that he had an epic druid girlfriend who could reincarnate him as a young adult.