Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
This bolded part was (maybe) a concern yet we still have a standard of playing with caltrops (d4) that barely even roll.
Which is why I like the pentagonal dodecahedrons numbered I to IV three times for D4s.

Why do I say "pentagonal dodecahedrons"? - because I have managed to source some rhombic dodecahedron D12s which are quite hard to find.
(When it comes to naturally occurring crystals, "traditional" pentagonal dodecahedrons are very very rare - I was actually taught in a geology class that they don't exist which is incorrect. Rhombic dodecahedrons are the main naturally occurring ones and they also space-fill for extra fun. They are also very old - archeologists have found dice of this type in ancient remains.)

The biggest problem I have had with dice was probably D3s at university. Everyone used d6s for D3s, but I am aware of at least three methods for deriving the output and few people bothered to mention which they were using before rolling! This is why I actually bought some cubes numbered 1-3 twice.
Spoiler: D3 methods
Show
three blocks:
1, 2 = 1
3, 4 = 2
5, 6 = 3

repeating sequence:
1, 4 = 1
2, 5 = 2
3, 6 = 3

top or bottom:
1, 6 = 1