Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Editors can be both a good and a bad thing. Without editors, Toriyama would have reportedly stopped Dragonball after the Pilaf saga - no Krillin, no Tenkaichi Budokai, no Red Ribbon etc.
His editors are also the reason we got Androids #17, #18 and Cell, he was originally only going to do Gero + 19.

Buuuuuut... his editors are also the reason Gohan was wasted after the Cell Saga, and they're behind a lot of the problems that showed up in the Buu saga too. They also initially were against Goku growing up in the first place.

So I don't think it can ever be as simple as "editors good" / "editors bad." Like with any creative endeavor, too much influence on one end of the scale and the whole thing tips over.
I wish I could peek into an alternate universe and read the alternate Android Saga.

Because as cool as Cell was, the plot of the Cell Saga is riddled with holes as a result of the continuing changes demanded by the editors. Toriyama did an incredible job of patching them, but we're still left with an arc I liked less than the Freeza Saga because every time I think about it my head does that quizzical tilt dogs do.

I'm super curious what could have been, and whether Toriyama had any deeper plans that got tossed in the trash when he was forced to change villains multiple times.