View Single Post

Thread: What Are you Playing 7: Deadly Sims

1. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are you Playing 7: Deadly Sims

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    .....Zevox. Majora's Mask lowkey has a lot of spooky horror elements

the game has a melancholic tone in some form or other, two of transformation masks are obtained from people who tried to be heroes and died for it, Link has to constantly reset time thus erasing peoples happiness every time he defeats a beast, the ranch in this game outright has a creepy alien invasion, all the people left in town are either those who don't believe the moon is falling or so bound by duty they can't leave and all the mayor does about is let people decide whether or not they leave on their own. there is also the strange fact that all the inhabitants look oddly similar to people Link has met before despite having no proven connection with their counterparts, and you do a lot of putting spirits to rest in that game who'd otherwise just linger around creepily in sadness. oh and Link is still mourning and searching for Navi while having this oddly similar counter part in Tatl.

like it has serious "depressed spooky journey reflecting on the flaws of society and people while mourning those passed" vibe to it. I'd say it belongs even if its not a horror game, because its very horror-adjacent.
    I'd argue most of that is more tragedy than horror - mostly tragedies that the game is ultimately about averting, at that. But even if you take that view, the Giants' role in things isn't as creepy monsters you're supposed to be scared of, it's as saviors. They're the ones who can stop the moon's fall once you release them from whatever Skull Kid did to the Temples, the source of hope for things to have a better outcome. So I'd say it's still a bizarre choice for design for them regardless.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2022-09-20 at 04:18 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis